f@h will not run

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

airaani

f@h will not run

Post by airaani »

I downloaded f@h hoping to help with covid19. Upon launching it, my computer immediately crashed and restarted itself. f@h has not run since, I do not see f@h on the taskbar or in task manager. But if I go the folder and try to run it, it just opens the local f@h web control page, and never connects. I just tried reinstalling and nothing changed. My computer is a gaming computer a few years old and should be able to run it, intel core i7-4790K and NVIDIA geforce 1070. I can't get a log file because the client isn't running.

Edit: resolved, thanks
Last edited by airaani on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce

Re: f@h will not run

Post by bruce »

FAHClient requires firewall permissions equivalent to a browser.
airaani

Post by airaani »

Generally when a program needs firewall permissions I get a popup when I try to launch it, where I can grant permission. I'm not sure how to do that when it doesn't pop up?
bruce

Post by bruce »

In general, that varies dependng on what firewall you happen to use. Every firewall that I've seen gives you a method to grant an exception to the restrictions that are imposed. The pop-up messages are useful but too many people disable them so they don't realize it's a problem they need to solve. nor do they know where to get help bypassing the default restriction.
airaani

Post by airaani »

Okay, I found where to enable permissions in my firewall and f@h is already allowed
bruce

Post by bruce »

OK. So post a few pages of FAH's log and we'll analyze what is going on.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Kaspersky AV in particular has had some issues where even whitelisting Folding@Home didn't work correctly. There might also be issues with your router's firewall settings or even the ISP, so try tethering the computer via the cell phone network and see if the problem persists.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
airaani

Post by airaani »

I do not have Kaspersky.

I'm sorry I do not know how to get logs when f@h does not run. I never see it in task manager or on the task bar.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Check in this topic where to find your logs (on Windows) assuming that the FAH client ever started (if it didn't, you have more serious issues): viewtopic.php?p=327412&f=24#p327412
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
airaani

Post by airaani »

Okay, I tried using my phone's hotspot and disabling ethernet, internet is working fine but f@h still doesn't run. It opens the client f@h web control page which tries to connect and times out, and f@h never appears on the task bar or task manager.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Is "Hideconsole" showing up among the Windows start-up items?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a301d441e6

Does the %AppData%\FAHClient folder exist?

Edit: If Hideconsole is present in startup items but failing, you might try opening a new console, CD'ing to %AppData%\FAHClient and starting the FAHClient in the console to study any error messages.

You might try installing FAH as a service instead of as a program which starts on log-in. It is a choice in the install script. The disadvantage to that is you can't GPU fold, but if you get CPU folding started that way, then we're closer to a solution.
airaani

Post by airaani »

Thanks everyone, I ended up uninstalling, redownloading, and reinstalling and it is working now.
bruce

Post by bruce »

So obviously something changed in how you installed FAH. Any idea what's different?
airaani

Post by airaani »

No idea. I did not change anything so all I can think is that something might have gotten corrupted, or maybe some kind of problem happened when the first launch crashed my computer.