Stuck in a loop

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Stuck in a loop

Post by bruce »

Willyw wrote:ahhh... umm... I saw that term "ProtoMol" in the log, but that's all I know about it. By "core", what do you mean? ... is it the version of the Folding client that I'm running?
. . .
and the systray client.
Sorry. I skipped some details and I should never do that in this forum.
There are two types of CLIENTS for Windows. One is called the Systray client and one is called the Console client. You can download either one. Once the client is running, it asks the server for a Work Unit. WUs are part of various Projects. Each Project uses a particular analysis method called a FahCore (or "core"). ProtoMol is one of those analysis methods, and it's also known by the name FahCore_b4.

Here's a question for you:
Has something changed?
In other words, I've run this for a few months now. Almost daily, if not actually daily. No problems. Well... I think I saw it said a bad packet or something like that once, and that it was uploading early. It did, then it downloaded new stuff, and proceeded to continue perking right along. That was quite some time ago though.
This that I've reported, is new.
When something new happens, with something that has been working fine, logically one looks for what could have changed.
Why else would it work for so long, then quit working normally?
That's a good question. As I implied earlier, there are a variety of analysis methods that may be required, depending on the particular project that your assigned WU comes from. Each of these analysis methods function as an extension of the client that you downloaded. From time to time there are new FahCores (analysis methods) and from time to time they're updated to extend their capabilities. The client downloads cores on demand, just like it downloads assignments (WUs) on demand. Normally this proceeds without a hitch and without any interaction with you. (Very rarely, the client is updated, and when it is, you have to download it yourself.)
. . . so yes, something did change. Apparently you got a different core. Either that, or the WU that you were assigned exercised a rarely used portion of the core and you found a bug.

That's lots of information. You asked, and I don't mind explaining it -- or adding more detail if you missed part of it -- but you can fold without understanding it -- it isn't essential information. . . . . but you didn't ask a "Do this" kind of question.
While I appreciate all the bits of info I've received here, and the poster's time in replying here, I really didn't want to take the time to really read all the info in some of those links for detail.
(Since I had changed nothing, I was kind of hoping it was something well known, with a simple "Do this:...." type of fix.)
As I skimmed around in the links provided, I saw that somebody mentioned to open Task Manager, with Folding running, and kill every instance of it. That this would cause it to d/l a new packet, etc.
So, I did that.
And, it did ... as best as I could tell from the log... start over again with a new packet.
This was yesterday.
Remember... it got stuck at 2% before... and yesterday it progressed on up to 20 something percent, before I had to go, and quit the program.

Today, I've started it again.
It seems to my untrained eye, to be running normally.
It is at 28% completed right now.

It seems that you are getting reports of this.... I hope with my blathering on in this post, that maybe I've said something that is useful to the powers that be, that are trying to solve it.

Unless you strongly recommend that I un-install the graphical client that I'm again using, and recommend that I then install the command line client - I'll go back to the way I've done it for so long... just click it, let it sit in the try all day running, and pretty much forget about it.

Again, thank you all for your time.
That's cool.

My hunch is that the bug you encountered is pretty rare so you probably won't run into it again. If you do, we'd be happy to give you a "Do this" sort of answer then, but even without asking, all that has been suggested is (A) Uninstall the systray client and (B) Install the Console client and you'll probably remember that if you ever need it.
Willyw

Post by Willyw »

bruce wrote:
Willyw wrote: ...
My hunch is that the bug you encountered is pretty rare so you probably won't run into it again. If you do, we'd be happy to give you a "Do this" sort of answer then, but even without asking, all that has been suggested is (A) Uninstall the systray client and (B) Install the Console client and you'll probably remember that if you ever need it.
An update:

Tried by killing Folding in Task Manager, then restarting.
Seemed to be going ok.
Made it to 40something percent, and same problem returned.

Decided that it was time to un-install the graphic version, and install the command line version. :)
Did both.

Have been running the console version with no problems, since.
Thanks to all, that explained that this is the best course of action for me, at this point.

Questions:
Is there a way to 'pause' it, as there was with the graphic version. I doubt it, but I have to ask.

Then, to stop it when I need to - is the best way to just slam it shut, by closing the window?

Next - should I decide that I'd like to try changing it to a service ( I have no experience with fiddling with services), it sounds like Folding would always start, upon booting the computer. Is there a way to set it to not do that?
The only reason that I'm considering running it as a service, is to get it off the task bar.

If it is a service, is it easy to stop and start it, without re-booting, etc.? If so, .. how?

I wanted to run it a while, before reporting back.
Again, thanks to each of you that advised me.
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

I would recommend shutting F@H down before restarting/shutting down windows. Sometimes it could cause the WU to fail like what has happened to me possibly with ProtoMol WU's. I bet there is a way to pause it, but I have no experience with the console version sorry. I have only used the graphical CPU client.

There is a way to make F@H start when booting up the computer. It did so in version 5. I keep hoping there would be an option to enable or disable it in the config but so far no luck. The other way to do it isn't hard I think, but I've never had to do it before hence the wish for the option to enable it in config.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Pausing with the Console Version isn't available.

The safest is Crtl+C instead of the X Button

If you want automatic startup, place the shortcut in the Startup Folder e.g. C:\Users\PantherX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (this is from Windows 7)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

From a newbie business owner's perspective:

It would be really cool to trap the ESC key in the console versions to pop up to a menu:
A) Change config (effective next job)
B) Reduce/increase cores (effective immediately)
C) Estimate completion time
D) Pause at X:X hours daily (current time default)
E) Resume at "ditto"
F) Kill unusable job
G) Exit

Yes, I read that they are coming out with a v7.

The program could still run while on this screen with keyboard trapping.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
bruce

Post by bruce »

A) Sorry, but it takes two steps in the current client. CTRL-C to stop. Start using a manually constructed shortcut that includes the -config flag.
B) Ditto
C) Not part of the current client but that's one of the features provided by the 3rd party monitoring programs.
D, E) I've done this using Windows tools and could do it with Linux tools, but it's not what Id call "simple"
F) This is a common complaint.

Any (or all) of these might appear in v7 but nobody who actually knows anything about v7 can't talk about it (except VijayPande, and the odds of him giving any details are extremely low) -- and even if someone did, V7 isn't finished yet, so by the time it comes out, they might be wrong.

Everybody really wants to V7 to be released and the operative word is still "soon" although "before the end of they year, maybe sooner" seems to be a more precise definition of "soon" than we usually get. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16375&p=162524#p162524
Willyw

Post by Willyw »

Willyw wrote: ...
Questions:

Next - should I decide that I'd like to try changing it to a service ( I have no experience with fiddling with services), it sounds like Folding would always start, upon booting the computer. Is there a way to set it to not do that?
The only reason that I'm considering running it as a service, is to get it off the task bar.

If it is a service, is it easy to stop and start it, without re-booting, etc.? If so, .. how?

bruce

Post by bruce »

Willyw wrote:Next - should I decide that I'd like to try changing it to a service ( I have no experience with fiddling with services), it sounds like Folding would always start, upon booting the computer. Is there a way to set it to not do that?
A system service starts when the computer boots.

If the only objective is to get it off of the task bar, maybe you want to download one of the utilities like Hideit which will take any task off the taskbar and put it into a systray icon.
Drill down inside of Control Panel (depending on which view you've chosen) to a link to a system management routine called "Services" With Admin rights, you can start/stop/configure services and cause all sorts of system-wide problems if you don't know what you're doing, but you can also stop and start a FAH service, once you create it. You can also reconfigure the FAH service so it does not start until you start it manually, but I don't recommend that option.