Which client, OS, config to use?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

horgee

Which client, OS, config to use?

Post by horgee »

I have a computer with a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) and 2Gb RAM. What would be the best way to run f@h on this computer.

It will run 24/7 and not be used for anything else. This means I can install whatever OS will yield the best results. It currently has Vista Home on it but through college I can get XP 32bit, Vista 32bit & 64bit, or 7 32bit & 64bit for free for personal use. I was searching the forums here and somewhere someone said that they get the most out of this CPU running Linux but it was an older post and I don't know which client they used used.

So if someone can help me out, which client, on which OS, and what config (-advmethods etc.)?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Which client, OS, config to use?

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum horgee,

I believe that the best option for you would be 2 instances of Classic Client. For more details, please refer to this post -> viewtopic.php?p=160903#p160903

IIRC, now there isn't much difference between Windows and Linux with the recent FahCores (the F@h Client will automatically download them on first run) so you can use any OS of your choice.

If you want a truly set-and-forget-F@h Client, the Classic Client fits that bill. Using -advmethods flag will increase your probability of getting EUE (WU error) since they are WUs in late-beta stage. Personally, I would recommend that you start with a simple installation of two Classic Client and see how things work out for you.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

If you are not familiar with Linux I would say Windows as PantherX mentioned.

If it was me, it would be Slackware Linux. If you want to go that route let me know I will be more than happy to help out.

On your machine I would use the Linux SMP Console Edition Folding@Home Client Version 6.29 and configure it with big packets, advmethods, -smp and -verbose 9
Folding on Slackware Linux.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

If the computer is not going to be used, and you have a way to monitor it, (thru browser), I would
go for Notfred's diskless usb stick. I know a PD 920 could make the SMP preferred deadline.
It is easy to set up, no overhead (no OS, no HDD, no video card, no CDrom, unless wanted), just a network connection.

Check it out: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/
horgee

Post by horgee »

So what do you guys think will get me more points, 2 instances of the uni client or SMP on Slackware?
I am fine with using the -advmethods flag, I use it on an other machine atm and if it proves to be a problem I can always remove it.

I'm not really familiar with Linux but I don't mind learning if you don't mind helping me with it. You'll probably have to start with the basics when it comes to the command line/text based configuring stuff. I would like to become more familiar with Linux so I would definitely like to try it.
I went ahead and started downloading Slackware 13.1 x86 DVD ISO(everything), is that the right one?

RAH wrote:If the computer is not going to be used, and you have a way to monitor it, (thru browser), I would
go for Notfred's diskless usb stick. I know a PD 920 could make the SMP preferred deadline.
It is easy to set up, no overhead (no OS, no HDD, no video card, no CDrom, unless wanted), just a network connection.
I should have been clearer, I do use it very occasionally for cloning HDDs and other random stuff so I would like to keep everything together for now. But thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't heard of that before and I will probably use it for future projects.
chrisretusn
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

Points wise I don't think it really makes that much difference. It really depends on the work units you get.

Your CPU looks to be a 64-bit one. Are you downloading Slackware64 13.1 or Slackware 13.1. To take advantage of folding with -smp you will need the 64-bit.

Fair warning. Slackware is not a beginners Linux, but it not that hard to setup and maintain.
horgee

Post by horgee »

Yes I believe my CPU is 64 bit.

Just wondering, why do you prefer Slackware specifically over whatever else is out there, say Ubuntu?
chrisretusn
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

Hard to say. I guess familiarity, it doesn't try to be Windows. I started using Slackware in 1993. I have tried a lot of distributions, including Windows. ;) I always find my self migrating back to Slackware. I like Slackware's default boot to the the CLI. It's easy to change if you want the GUI, but I prefer starting with the CLI. I like the simplicity of it's BSD-style initialization setup. I like the Slackware layout, I know it. I like the simplicity of Slackware's package system. With the stable version (not -current) you only get security fixes, not a bunch of other things. It's a very stable platform.

If there is a program that does not come with the standard Slackware install, for example LibreOffice, there are packages available for installation. If there isn't you can compile and create your own. I just did that with the new release of FahMon. There are tools available now that take all the drudge-work out. I made my new package with one command. In the past it took several steps to get to the point of making that package.
bruce

Post by bruce »

horgee wrote:I have a computer with a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) and 2Gb RAM. What would be the best way to run f@h on this computer.

It will run 24/7 and not be used for anything else. This means I can install whatever OS will yield the best results. It currently has Vista Home on it but through college I can get XP 32bit, Vista 32bit & 64bit, or 7 32bit & 64bit for free for personal use. I was searching the forums here and somewhere someone said that they get the most out of this CPU running Linux but it was an older post and I don't know which client they used used.

So if someone can help me out, which client, on which OS, and what config (-advmethods etc.)?
Is your objective still to find the best way to run f@h or has it changed to installing and learning a new OS?

There's certainly nothing wrong with installing and learning a new OS, but that wasn't your original question. The best way to run f@h on any computer is to use the most comfortable set of options available, and that includes the OS. I'm just afraid that you're getting started on a moderately complex task of learning Slackware that's unnecessary from f@h's perspective. You already have Windows and that's fine provided that you're comfortable with it. The difference in F@h's productivity is so incredibly small that there really is no "best" OS from f@h's perspective. Ultimately it's up to you, though.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450

Post by RAH »

Since your CPU doesn't have VT, you can't run in VM, unless you use the normal CPU client.
With notfreds, you can still use the computer. Just restart, and pull the USB stick. It will boot
into your OS.
With an 820 you might be on the border line for completion, with out an overclock to do SMP.
The less overhead you have the better.
Check the linux forum, as I believe there are a few self installs built.
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

For something that is just going to sit in the corner and fold, I would run linux for the stability. Set it up, set the client to start on boot, fire the client up, and never touch the machine again. Ever. Till the hardware dies anyways.

Figure half an hour to install linux, pretty painless process, pop in the disk, boot it, say yes when it asks if you want to install it, and wait. Another half hour following the install guides on the stanford homepage to get the client in the right place, configured, and running, and never having to babysit the box? No brainer.

*clink clink*
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
RAH

Post by RAH »

To slow. Install the USB stick, start the machine. Done.
chrisretusn
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

Bruce has a point and that is why I said "If you are not familiar with Linux I would say Windows" in my first post above.

A good Linux choice in my opinion though is one that boots to the command line and not X. Slackware happens to be one of those. That's the main OS I use on all of my machines.
horgee

Post by horgee »

Sorry for no response, I've been kind of busy with school. But yeah my initial question was to find the best way to run f@h but since the OS really doesn't matter I figured that I might as well learn about Linux a bit since I've always kind of wanted to. It would be something that forces me to use it, I've played with a few different distros before but only for a few minutes because I really had no use for them.

Being that I`m pretty busy with tests right now I`ll probably just set up f@h on the OS thats on the computer right now(Vista) and give Slackware a go when I get more time.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

You should be able to set up the SMP v6.30 client fairly easily on Vista. It is MUCH more reliable and user-friendly than previous versions. Get a passcode to get max benefit.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]