NewB Q: which is more important CPU speed or RAM?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MJandDave

NewB Q: which is more important CPU speed or RAM?

Post by MJandDave »

Hi, FAH newbie here and computer amateur. I am thinking of purchase an older (2-5 year old) machine for my young kids run their lower end educational games on. I'm hoping to spend around $100 for the setup, but might be willing to spend more.

I'm currently running FAH on a newish dual core laptop (two classic uniprocessor clients) , and a single instance of classic uni on my older desktop (2.5 GHz WITH 512 MB RAM).

My question is, if I can and do want to spend more a little more money on the 3rd computer to help the FAH cause, what would you recommend investing in? I'm not interested in overclocking or anything complicated, thought I might be able to purchase & install more memory (I've done it once but it's been a while).
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: NewB Q: which is more important CPU speed or RAM?

Post by PantherX »

For the Classic Client, CPU Speed is important and I think that 512 MB RAM is sufficient.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

My computer is about 7 years old and with the upgraded graphic card I got in it I believe I could do the GPU client. So for you I'd look into what cpu's cost. Maybe a dual or quad you could put 2 or 4 more clients on and not have to worry about them. Quads might not be cheap even low end ones, but I bet dual's probably are cheap now days. I never really checked out CPU prices so sorry if I'm off here.

I know Panther said 512 and I'd defer to him, but I'd go for 1GB if you could just so things run smoothly.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Windows XP needs 1 GB to operate at full potential. Vista and above is 2GB min, 4 is better.

In regards to fah, adding extra RAM above what the system needs does not speed up fah, however, not having enough definitely slows everything down.

Once you have "enough" memory, spend the rest on a faster processor.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

On a budget, a good "kid" machine that will run modern apps for $139:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=5139

It takes 512mb DDR2 PC4200 memory sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820244036
Now, the problem is that mixing memory sticks is iffy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Buy 2 if you don't want to experiment. But you might consider running it on just the factory memory at first. "Windows Disease" takes a while to incubate, so you might wait until it starts to get sluggish before upping the ram.

Next, the "real" power is the video card (plus it makes games run MUCH better). This is "low profile" case, and has a modest powersupply. So I'd go with:

GT 430 low profile "CUDA" card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814134121

While this won't play the latest "Kill Them ALL!" video games, to be honest, a PS3 does a much better job than a $1000 PC does anyways. But it will run most modern software and mid-level games at a reasonable speed.

The Folding Power will be in the Video Card. If you don't add ram, and you have a spare monitor, the whole enchilada is about $200.

I've bought "off-lease" machines from TigerDirect (used to be Global) for 10+ years, and have never got a lemon yet. Usually I buy IBM brand though.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

Note about Windows Disease (aka Gate's Disorder) - I have both DOS and Win machines that run with no internet connection, nor do we add applications to them once installed. The Internet Experts say that it's bad browsing habits and loading too many applications. Not necessarily true. The DOS machines are just as fast as they were when new, and the Win95+ machines slow down with age. Why? I don't know. It's cheaper to just get an Off-Lease box and donate the old machine to the Salvation Army than it is to diagnose it (unless your time is free). No, defrag doesn't fix it.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

MJandDave wrote:My question is, if I can and do want to spend more a little more money on the 3rd computer to help the FAH cause, what would you recommend investing in? I'm not interested in overclocking or anything complicated, thought I might be able to purchase & install more memory (I've done it once but it's been a while).
A relatively fast dual-core (2 GHz+) will crunch the SMP work units reasonably well. Larger CPU cache helps significantly as well. The new v6.30 SMP client is relatively maintenance-free and will run as a Service to keep it "out of sight and out of mind." Don't forget to obtain a passcode to get max benefit.

After that, use the RAM guidelines others posted.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]