Tried to swith to ATI GPU softare

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Agencyman

Re: Tried to swith to ATI GPU softare

Post by Agencyman »

There was a global problem with getting new work units for GPU 2 Client since yesterday. The client is working again since 30 minutes.

Try it and it will work normally now.
I see we have both very recently discovered different versions of the same truth...

For you, it is back up; For me, it is newly up. :idea: :ewink: :D

Thanks again to all,
Bruce
theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Post by theteofscuba »

can you try running with -verbosity 9 so maybe can see more information about the connection error? it looks like a network issue more than anything else, but I'd like to see more info to be sure.

edit:
yes, you must have the port (and/or the ip address) allowed in your firewall, if you have one.
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

Zagen30 wrote:Baowulf was sort of incorrect in saying that GPU3 doesn't work with Nvidia cards. While the current GPU3 core won't work with ATI cards, the client that allows Nvidia cards to get GPU3 WUs has been found to work just fine with ATI cards, though of course ATI cards only download the work that they can do. The link to the latest version is at http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=16471.
Well yeah I believe the GPU3 client would work for him but he wouldn't get any benefits from it and it would be the same as him running the GPU2 one. Since he has an ATI card. I hadn't seen the updated versions for the GPU client either. So I'll have to read up on thoses.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Don't worry about the MachineID. For some reason the GPU client installs itself as ID=2. Any number is fine as long as you don't use the same value for two different clients that run on the same machine.

It sounds like you're using the Viewer to keep track of progress. There are several reasons why we don't recommend you use that viewer. Go to the 3rd party forum and get one of the monitor programs such as HFM or FahMon (both of which I like). (There are other monitor programs that are probably equally as good but I've never used them.) Once you install one of them, all you have to do is "add" a client by pointing the monitor program to the right files for your FAH installation.
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

Machine id can be what ever... that advice came from a person who has never run a gpu unit..

I have my gpus at 2 5 and 8... As long as 2 clients don't have the same number, it'll be fine.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

patonb wrote:Machine id can be what ever... that advice came from a person who has never run a gpu unit..

I have my gpus at 2 5 and 8... As long as 2 clients don't have the same number, it'll be fine.
That advice came from when I was reading about people who wanted to run smp and gpu at the same time. One of them, maybe I was mistaken in thinking it was the GPU client was said to need to have it's Machine ID set at 1 while the other it didn't matter as long as it wasn't the same number. Also I had already said that I have yet to try and install the GPU client on my HD 3650 so what's with the vagueness there?
Baowoulf wrote:Sorry I couldn't be more help. Haven't installed the GPU client for my HD 3650 yet.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

The machine ID can be what ever as defined by client. SMP/CPU install default is 1. GPU install default is 2.
theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Post by theteofscuba »

hopefully new client will do away with the machine id concept and try to manage it automatically.