looking inside work unit data files?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

whocrazy

looking inside work unit data files?

Post by whocrazy »

Hello there.
I am wondering if it's possible to look inside work unit Data files?
I understand they are compressed archives of some sort, I was wondering if there was a way to extract the contents, like with normal zip or archive files?
Thanks.
bruce

Re: looking inside work unit data files?

Post by bruce »

For the most part, there's nothing in there to see. The important files are just lots of binary numbers and there is no unzip function that will interpret them for you.

The parts that are most interesting to most folks are copied to FAHlog.txt so it indicates which project you're working on and how it's progressing. Information about the specific project can be found here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html and additional information can probably be found if you click on "Description" on the far right.

Sometimes you will find another log file in the work folder. You might find something interesting in there, but probably not. In any case, DO NOT attempt to change any of the files. It's best not to use an editor even if all you plan to do is look. It's easy to forget and click "File" instead of "Quit" and if you do, you'll probably corrupt that file and probably the entire WU.
whocrazy

Post by whocrazy »

I dont need to worry about accidentally changing anything, I use winrar's internal viewer, it's strictly readonly. I am just really curious and I like to know how things work and pull them apart.
I'm sorry if it seemed like a silly question. I was told that the wudata_xx.dat files are compressed with bzip
I was hoping to find a way to uncompress wudata_05.dat. can this be done?
Thanks.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It's just raw data. It's like opening up a bag of marbles. All the same, nothing interesting.

What info there is can be found in the FAH WIKI. Link on the toolbar above.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

There used to be a file, in the work folder, that if you opened it with note pad, or was it word pad, hmmm.
Anyway it would show you the temp, tracjectories, etc, that the protein was to fold at.
Not sure if its still there, as it been awhile since I looked at them.

Don't do it while the client it running though, might corrupt something, and bork it.

There it is : its the workdata_xx.log
Shows a bunch of stuff.
I use notepad ++ to view.
whocrazy

Post by whocrazy »

nevertheless I'd still like to try it, I'd also be interested in decompressing the wuresults.dat file.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not sure why. Whatever portions of the data created in /work that are needed for scientific purposes are collected into a single file so that the uploading process is simplified. You can see all the pieces at the time the WU finishes.
theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Post by theteofscuba »

reverse engineering F@H probably isn't something PG appreciates.