FAH won't use more than 50% of a HyperThreaded uniprocessor.

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

cyberidd

FAH won't use more than 50% of a HyperThreaded uniprocessor.

Post by cyberidd »

So the problem is that I'm folding on my netbook which has no problem completing the WU on time, but it only runs the cpu at about 50% even when nothing else is running. I have opened the Configure page for FAH and moved the slider up to maximum, but still don't get more than 50%. I'd really like to fold more, fold faster, and all that, but I can't get my computer to do it for me.

Is there some other way to trick FAH or the computer into using more power ex. by bumping up its priority in the Task Manager? Thanks
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: FAH won't use more than ~50% of uniprocessor.

Post by Nathan_P »

hi and welcome to the forum.

What are the specs on that netbook?
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

I'm guessing that the Atom in that netbook is a single-core with Hyperthreading. This is reported to Windows as a dual-core, even though it's not, and Task Manager counts each virtual core as 50% of the total processing power, even though in reality most of the processing power is being utilized for folding. Don't worry about it, and just leave things as they are. Don't install another copy of the uniprocessor client, as HT's timesharing of resources between the two virtual cores won't help much since one copy of the client uses the resources it needs pretty heavily, leaving little time for another copy to make use of them without slowing down both considerably.
cyberidd

Post by cyberidd »

Thanks for the quick replies. Its an Asus Eee PC 1005HA with an Intel Atom CPU N280 processor rated as a 2.4 on the Windows Experience Index. I was really hoping that I could get this thing moving a bit faster than an average of 22 mins for 2500 folds, but if thats not possible, then I'm happy to contribute what I can.

Thanks again for the help!
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41411
It is single core with Hyperthreading
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

cyberidd wrote:I was really hoping that I could get this thing moving a bit faster than an average of 22 mins for 2500 folds, but if thats not possible, then I'm happy to contribute what I can.
The Atom is specifically designed for portability, which means it preserves battery life by using power very sparingly. It may run a long time on batteries, but its folding performance will never be particularly high. Desktop computers are designed in ways that use more electricity, generate more heat, and fold faster. Your contributions are useful to science, but there's really nothing you can do to speed them up.
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

Aren't some laptops designed to make full use of their power when connected to an AC adapter, but don't when running on just the battery? Couldn't he see if keeping it plugged in when not using it in a fashion that would require use of just the battery could increase his folding if only by a small margain?
cyberidd

Post by cyberidd »

Baowoulf wrote:Aren't some laptops designed to make full use of their power when connected to an AC adapter, but don't when running on just the battery? Couldn't he see if keeping it plugged in when not using it in a fashion that would require use of just the battery could increase his folding if only by a small margain?
My netbook gives me the option of running the processor in "Power Save", "High", and "Super" modes. I suspect that when I have it running in Super it makes no difference whether its plugged in or not. That said, I have it folding almost 20 hours a day, most of which it does while plugged in.

A side note, the computer gets quite hot when folding in "Super" mode (I always fold in Super), but I had read here that people found success with cooling pads. I can't believe how much cooler it stays now that I have one! Thanks for the idea Folding Forum!