Passkey Retrieval Problem

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Graywolfie

Passkey Retrieval Problem

Post by Graywolfie »

Hi, this seemed like it might be the best place to post my question. I've been folding for years and recently attemped to get a passkey using the page on this site so I can run a couple of these smp2 clients. Even though the form states that the passkey has been emailed I never receive it. I've tried multiple email addresses and different days and times with the same result. Is their another option? I mean it all seems about as easy as it can be so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. But then again...

Suggestions? Thanks!

Graywolfie
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Passykey Retrieval Problem

Post by P5-133XL »

Check your Email client to make sure it isn't being filtered out as spam. Other than that, I don't know what else would cause your problem. You are clicking on the get passkey button, and the website changed to say that it would be E-mailing the passkey to the specified E-mail address indicated, right?
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

What type of email client do you have? I have hotmail and I had a problem getting a password change email sent to me from another website. So I would ask whoever has control over the email system to look into it. If it's not in your spam or junk folder. My problem was fixed before I had to contact the website, but the problem wasn't on my end and yours may not be either.
Graywolfie

Post by Graywolfie »

Thanks for the direction to the answer P5-133XL and Baowoulf. The web page did in fact refresh and say it was mailed everytime and no, it never ended up anywhere. However, fortunately for me I manage my own server and took a look at the exim_mainlog file right after the attempt. Turns out the answer was there "Could not complete sender verify callout" so the email was rejected by the server. Once I whitelisted the Stanford IPs I received the email with the passkey.

So that is fine for me. But others who may attempt to do the same probably would not have access to server whitelist settings. Maybe the verify callout issue should be fixed on the Stanford end?

So in case anyone is interested in the exim log entry (with personal info removed):

2010-11-16 17:56:13 [19939] H=smtp-unencrypted1.stanford.edu (smtp-unencrypted.stanford.edu) [171.67.219.75]:44595 I=[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25 sender verify defer for <server@vspm27.stanford.edu>: could not connect to vspm27.stanford.edu [171.65.103.94]: Connection timed out
2010-11-16 17:56:13 [19939] H=smtp-unencrypted1.stanford.edu (smtp-unencrypted.stanford.edu) [171.67.219.75]:44595 I=[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25 F=<server@vspm27.stanford.edu> temporarily rejected RCPT <myemail@mydomain.com>: Could not complete sender verify callout
2010-11-16 17:56:14 [19939] H=smtp-unencrypted1.stanford.edu (smtp-unencrypted.stanford.edu) [171.67.219.75]:44595 I=[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25 incomplete transaction (RSET) from <server@vspm27.stanford.edu>
2010-11-16 17:56:14 [19939] SMTP connection from smtp-unencrypted1.stanford.edu (smtp-unencrypted.stanford.edu) [171.67.219.75]:44595 I=[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25 closed by QUIT

.... back to folding and trying this smp2 client.
bruce

Re: Passkey Retrieval Problem

Post by bruce »

I just created a passkey and retrieved the email, so stanford is sending it to my normal email account. The information in the post above looks like you're trying to connect your email client to an email account at stanford. You shouldn't have to change anything ... just have the email sent to your everyday email account and pick it up the way you normally open your email.
Graywolfie

Re: Passkey Retrieval Problem

Post by Graywolfie »

Bruce: That is exactly what I did but the email never comes. My email server that hosts my normal email account has a verify callback in place that verifies that the sending server is in fact who the email is from. In this case the sending (Stanford) server did not reply thus trashing the email triggered by the form, resulting in me never receiving. I looked in the logs and added the Stanford sending IPs to my servers whitelist to bypass the callback verification. Then the emails came through fine.

I think the problem lies in the Stanford sending server not responding to the verification callback. I imagine your email server does not use the callback thus your email comes through just fine. If it weren't for the overwhelming spam problem the world has we could avoid such issues. Maybe a distributed computing project should be put in place to solve that problem.

Like I stated previously, I now have the passkey and it is no longer an issue for me. However, others who's email is hosted by a server with the callback feature in place may not be so fortunate. This is not the first time I've had to add a sending IP(s) to my servers whitelist to allow the emails through.