cannot send finished work unit, help!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

whocrazy

cannot send finished work unit, help!

Post by whocrazy »

Hello there.
I can't believe this. Just as the work unit reached 100%, it got to the bit where it said "Writing 3805942 bytes of core data to disk...
Done..."
and then the power went out!
A few seconds later, it came back on, I booted the computer, checked the fah_log and reran the client but it restarted the work unit from 0% again.
I looked in the work folder to see if anything was salvageable.
among the many log files and miscellaneous data I could find was the wuresults.dat file which is about 3 megs in size, as well as a file I had never seen before, called wudata_02.gro, which is about 5 megs. I think the flag in queue.dat that tells fah that the work unit has finished and is ready to send is missing, it will not let me send the results.
How can I fix queue.dat so that fah can send the work unit? also, what do I do with the wudata_02.gro file? do I need it for anything?
Thanks.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: cannot send finished work unit, help!

Post by PantherX »

Your best bet is to do what is described in this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6042#p59856
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

After the calculation process reaches 100%, there are some important file managements steps that collect the important information from several files and zip(tar) them into a single file called wuresults in preparation for uploading. Once those file-management steps are completed the flag in the queue is changed from "working on the WU" to "ready to upload" Unfortunately is sounds like your power failure happened in the middle of the creation of wuresults so it's incomplete and therefore unusable. I don't know if 3 MB is the right size for a complete results file on that project or not but it sounds pretty small.

My guess is that you will not be able to recover any of the work you've done on this WU. :(

The only reliable method to avoid file-corruption is a good UPS with enough power to complete any file operations that were in progress and then perform an orderly shutdown.
whocrazy

Post by whocrazy »

Never fear, qfix helped clear it all up. I had to delete the entry from the queue using fah, then put it back in using the qfix.exe program.
I then used fah -send all to send the work unit, the server reported no problems with it. 3 mb is quite usual for wuresults.dat, I've had other work units that are about the same size.
Anyhow, the server accepted it, so I hope this means that there's nothing wrong with it.
bruce

Post by bruce »

What were the numbers for Project/Run/Clone/Gen? I can check on the status of that particular WU if I know which WU it was.