GTX260 won't run anymore

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

uncle fuzzy

Re: GTX260 won't run anymore

Post by uncle fuzzy »

The client config has a lot to do with how the client runs. It is a hex file, not a text file. Any changes made by a means other than the configuration process has the likelihood of borking the file and causing the client to run wild, or not at all.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

dcboron

Post by dcboron »

Thanks very much for all your responses, I feel fortunate to be afforded your time and suggestions. When I tried the 6.40r1 client I noticed that it installed right where I had downloaded it, I'm sure that that in itself wouldn't be an issue, however my attempts with the client have been fruitless. The issues I am having with the program, to me, seem to stem from time after I installed the 260.99 drivers, I was willing to use older drivers to get the program to run but I have not had any success with that either. Thanks again for you suggestions. I don't know what else to try. Will there be a client update in the near future?
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you're still trying to use the viewer, there's probably not going to be an update that fixes it.

In fact, for a GTX260, you will have better luck with the older client. Try one of the v6.23 clients from http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther They do not support the newer Fermi hardware but the client is a lot more "mature" so for your 200-series hardware it's a good fit.
dcboron

Post by dcboron »

Thanks for the suggestion bruce, however I have tried that tonight as well out of desperation and I get the same result. I started with the 6.32 version and it worked fine, I updated my video drivers to the 260.99 and it would crash on the viewer, now it won't even work at all. It is just frustrating to know that it was working fine and now it doesn't all the sudden. Just have to leave the folding to the smart people. Thanks to everyone who posted.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Use v6.23 but do not use the Viewer.
Gary480six

Post by Gary480six »

I see from your log file that you installed the client in the location below.

"Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\David\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu"

However, the great guide created by PantherX contains the following notes: The full Guide is here

4) Do note that the F@H Folder, for either the Console Version or the Systray Version, isn't located in the Program Files. If it is, it is advised to change it to a simpler location like C:\F@H due to the UAC implemented in Windows Vista and Windows 7 which may conflict with the Client and cause unexpected results.

I suggest you uninstall your current client, create a Folder with a name like FAH (so you now have a folder/location named C:\FAH) and then install the GPU client to That location.
rjbelans

Post by rjbelans »

Gary480six wrote:I see from your log file that you installed the client in the location below.

"Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\David\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu"

However, the great guide created by PantherX contains the following notes: The full Guide is here

4) Do note that the F@H Folder, for either the Console Version or the Systray Version, isn't located in the Program Files. If it is, it is advised to change it to a simpler location like C:\F@H due to the UAC implemented in Windows Vista and Windows 7 which may conflict with the Client and cause unexpected results.

I suggest you uninstall your current client, create a Folder with a name like FAH (so you now have a folder/location named C:\FAH) and then install the GPU client to That location.
Good eyes, that location might not work right. My clients run in a slightly different spot: ......\Application Data\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu

Hope you figure this out, it would be a shame not to have you helping a cause you really seem to care about.
folding@evga - Donor Advisory Board Representative
bruce

Post by bruce »

Microsoft changed Windows between WinXP and Win Vista/7. This puts the Application Data in a somewhat different place.

No matter what version of Windows you have, you can open the CMD text box and type >echo %APPDATA% and it will give you the stem of the path where \Folding@home-gpu should be found.

If you use the Microsoft installer, it will place the executable program in \Program Files and it will place the data in the directory inside of %APPDATA%. A shortcut will be created that invokes the program from Program Files and uses the %APPDATA% path as a launch directory for the data files. This is not presently described in the installation guide but it should be added soon.

If you're having trouble, one thing to do is to let us know what files are found in the launch directory.