some basic guides please

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

juanmartin

Re: some basic guides please

Post by juanmartin »

Hi bruce. Given your answer and the tests i did so far, i supose that running only the smp client is the best solution.

I use the machine for other activities, but when using 3d application for animation etc like in my case, it don´t consume too much resources...5% average.

Is only when rendering the stuff when you can end up using 100% of cores and 7 gb ram for example. But in a month, i only do the rendering 3...4 days or so.
And in those days i´ll have to stop the folding work. My guess is that if do the folding 25 days aprox of the month and 5 not, even in that case is better to run the smp client.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Since the bonus for completing a SMP WU is based on the time from when you download it to when you return the result you may find it useful to use the -oneunit flag just before you start rendering. That instructs FAH to finish the current WU, upload the result, and then shut down without getting a new assignment. The monitoring programs will give you a prediction about how long it will take to finish the current WU, or you can just estimate it by looking at the % complete and estimate the time based on the rate at which it is progressing.

The basic idea is that it's often better not to download a new assignment that you won't be able to complete promptly.

If some of your processing involves the CPU and really doesn't use the GPU, you might consider running the GPU client under those circumstances, but the choice is up to you. It uses very little CPU time. If so, be sure to configure it to NOT use affinity.
juanmartin

Post by juanmartin »

Thanks Bruce, now , because all the help received in this forum, i have a basic knowledge and minimun experience with all of this. There are a lot of dark areas like those referring to FLAGS, wich are things i´m not used to.
Having running the smp is something that let me think and do the needed research with a little less presure (from myself i mean).
I wanted to get the thing working and productive and for the moment looks like it is.
I´ll do more testing with the quadro in near future also.

Thank you all.

cheers.
juanmartin

Post by juanmartin »

Hi again. Everything working ok here with the smp at 100% of the i7 3.8ghz!! :P

Just for curiosity :egeek: ...after a couple of days folding i get a score of 3600 points (21 units).

That is less than average, average, or above?

Cheers.
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

Do you run 24/7?

You should be getting 7000 a day.

Checking kakao stats http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=1727496 you haven't got the 10 smp needed to get bonuses yet.

Just 1.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
juanmartin

Post by juanmartin »

Hi, thanks for the reply. i´m not running 24/7 yet. I started with f@h a week ago aprox. And with smp client only finished one unit so far (yesterday), wich gave me 1000 points. the other 2600 aprox i got it with some cpu clients and 1 unit i finished with gpu.

So...how many points per week is considered little, ok, or a lot?

Just to know really, not planning on change anything...i´ll just let the smp running at 100% 24/7 except when 3d rendering task are needed.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

First off, Points Per Day is the usual metric that's used to gauge performance.

According to EOC, one of the third-party stats sites, there are roughly 28,000 active contributors (anyone who's contributed something in the past week). This doesn't count people folding for a team that isn't ranked by them (they only track the top 6,000 teams, and only track individual users of the top 1,200 or so teams). If I go to the 14,000th ranked person by PPD, they get around 300 PPD.

I'm not sure if I'd consider that average, though, if we're talking about mostly full-time contribution, or start to consider current hardware performance. A current mid-range Nvidia card can do several thousand PPD 24/7, while your average dual-core can output a few thousand. I'm more inclined to think that a few thousand PPD is more along the lines of "average." Of course, I'm one of the more obsessed people who has 5 machines contributing, so my perspective may be highly skewed. There's also the fact that most of my contact with other contributors is through this forum, and many are either a) already pretty dedicated, and thus contribute a fair amount, or b) like you, trying to get the most out of above-average hardware (the people with a low-end dual core who are content with a single copy of the Classic Client probably don't need as much help, thus are less likely to come here). My friends who contribute have decent rigs, too, so I have even less normal contact with people with lower-end or older hardware. It's harder to keep perspective when most of what I see is decently expensive to sometimes outrageous rigs.

I'd definitely consider over 10,000 PPD to be getting into the range of "a lot," and in fact 10,000 may be a lot. Over 100,000 is definitely there. On the other hand, when I first started, I was running just my PS3 and a fairly slow laptop dual-core, and I considered 5,000 PPD to be a lot (though that output certainly meant more back in 2007). I feel that your output skews your definitions. After a period of time, my output starts to feel normal, and I start getting the urge to buy more.

If anyone feels the need to laugh down any of my assertions as being far too overestimatory, I agree that my opinion is biased.
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

As stated its all how you run.

Me, I pull in 23-25,000 aday. Thats normal FOR ME.

Getting even 1 point aday is just as good to 1 person, as it is to a person getting 100,000 pts. It all how you do it, and finish before deadlines.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900