Help a Newb out plz!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

robinalpha

Help a Newb out plz!

Post by robinalpha »

Hi, my name is Robin, I recently discovered Folding@Home on a web, and I want to contribute a lot. Because, my mom has the huntington's disease and it's really a cruel thing :S. I'll explain you my problem.

I installed the program, everything working fine. Now i want to create a team so my friend can join and contribute even more. I created my team, but I dunno what to do now. I go on Team statistics, it doesnt show me on the Team Member list. It's kinda weird since I'm the creator. I wish you could explain me how a team work and some basics.

Thx a lot :)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Help a Newb out plz!

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Robin,

The Team will appear once it is created, however, the users will only show after they have:
1) Entered the correct Team Number into the F@H Client
2) Successfully completed and uploaded the WU to the Servers (how long depends on the F@H Client and hardware running it)
3) After the Stats have been updated

I suggest that you configure your F@H Client with your Team Number and wait for point #2 and #3.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
robinalpha

Post by robinalpha »

Hi again, thank you for answering me. For the team members problem, I have the good Team number in my Folding@Home client. But it juste doesnt show me on the site. Maybe because I haven't finished my first WU ?

I have another question: Can I let my computer open 24 hours, 7 days week ? During the day, I play some games ( F@h isnt opn ) Then when I leave my house for an hour or more, I open F@h. Then, when I go sleep I open F@h for all night.Next morning, Is it a good idea or it will crash my computer?
derrickmcc
Hardware configuration: 2 x GTX 460 (825/1600/1650)
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0Ghz
Kingston 2Gb DDR2 1066 Mhz
MSI K9A2 Platinum
Western Digital 500Gb Sata II
LiteOn DVD
Coolermaster 900W UCP
Antec 902
Windows XP SP3

Post by derrickmcc »

robinalpha wrote:Hi again, thank you for answering me. For the team members problem, I have the good Team number in my Folding@Home client. But it juste doesnt show me on the site. Maybe because I haven't finished my first WU ?

I have another question: Can I let my computer open 24 hours, 7 days week ? During the day, I play some games ( F@h isnt opn ) Then when I leave my house for an hour or more, I open F@h. Then, when I go sleep I open F@h for all night.Next morning, Is it a good idea or it will crash my computer?
Your team will be listed when you have completed the WU, sent it back to F@H, and the site has had time to update the statistics. The statistics get updated every hour.

You can let your computer run 24 hours, 7 days a week with no problem. It won't crash your computer, and because you are not turning it on and off frequently, it is actually better for the computer to stay on all the time.
It is possible to leave F@H running all the time, because it has a low priority when you run other programs it gives priority to those programs. But if you prefer, carry on as you are.
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

Yeah after you finish your first WU and it's sent back and the stats update you should be showing on your team.

F@H shouldn't cause you any problems for your computer unless you have an unstable overclock. Then it might encounter a problem only because it works your computer harder then a lot of other things such as gaming. If you want you can leave F@H on and just pause it when you game and such. Only other thing is just to close F@H first before doing things such as restarting or shutting down. Just make sure to unpause it if it is paused before closing.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

Obviously if running FAH while you're gaming causes your game performance to suffer, Baowoulf is giving good advice. Depending on which client you have installed and which game you use, it may or may not be necessary to pause/shut down FAH. Try it both ways and decide if it matters. Many well-designed games can coexist nicely with the Classic client or the SMP client. A few may coexist with the GPU client. If your game is one of those, don't expect FAH to make much progress while you're gaming, but it might make some progress and at least you won't forget to start it back up.
robinalpha

Post by robinalpha »

Thank you a lot for your answers, I completed my first WU and I can see me on my team page! :D
With the gaming problems I'll simply pause F@h when im playing.

Thx a lot to all of you guys :D