i have nothing, where to go?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Delrave

i have nothing, where to go?

Post by Delrave »

so right now I have only a netbook, which I refuse to even consider folding on.so basically, I have a clean slate when it comes to folding and I don't know where to go, unlike other people, who usually have a desktop or something they want to gear towards folding, i don't, and I don't know where to go.I started with looking at ps3s, only to find they weren't up to par anymore.I tried looking at building, but I can't come to terms with dropping several hundred dollars on just parts, I can see $200 to $300, but $500 and up out of the question. and when trying to fit things like a copy of win7, and the little things like thermal paste and fans into that, you're not left with much. I looked at store bought PCs as well, but I already know those aren't the best for your buck.

so where should I go from here?
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: i have nothing, where to go?

Post by P5-133XL »

Why a duplicate thread or is your purpose different than Ways to cut costs?

In the end, folding is a donation. The original concept was not for people to build dedicated folding machines but rather to donate spare CPU cycles. If you don't have any spare CPU/GPU cycles anymore then you can always market for us by convincing others to fold.
Baowoulf
Hardware configuration: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 512MB DDR Ram, 128MB Radeon 9800, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro

Post by Baowoulf »

Welcome to F@H Delrave. My first question would be considering you don't seem to know where to start is how did you find out about F@H? And what would you want to do with F@H?

Me I found F@H thorugh my PS3 and decided to install it on my computer and so on. There is a CPU, GPU, SMP, and PS3 clients available so the choice depends on how far you want to take F@H.

A cheap good desktop or laptop should be able to do the CPU client no problem and with the PS3 you can do more with it then just F@H if your feeling the folding capabilities of it are lacking in your opinion. The GPU clients might require a tiny bit more money for a good card that can use the client. While the SMP might be a little more expensive then what you are wanting to spend atm. Requiring a high end dual core or quad core CPU.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Pick up a used PS3 for $100 or less, and let it fold. For $100, it is VERY "up to par"

Each person contributes as they can. The team effort wins the day, not your personal donation alone. Join the team any way you can. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.