Folding Port

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ironmetallica

Folding Port

Post by ironmetallica »

When I began folding, I noticed in the settings that you can change the port and that the default was 36330. I then opened 36330 on my router and began. A while later, I am not wondering what Folding@HOme uses the port for. So, what does Folding@Home use port 36330 for?
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Folding Port

Post by P5-133XL »

The data, if local, only goes through the switch portion of the router and that is not subject to any of the security measures that your router has. The router's ports would only have to be opened if you are remote monitoring a machine that is not local (i.e. somewhere on the internet). Even then there are very significant issues with NAT changing the IP address. I would not even try to remote monitor a machine over the internet without a whole bunch of free fiddle-time hours to make it work.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Folding Port

Post by Jesse_V »

36330 is used for communication to FAHClient. The reason that it uses a port is because FAHClient offers an API, which several other pieces of software hook into. For example, Advanced Control uses that port to facilitate more technical adjustments to FAHClient. FAHClient is also capable of remote connections. For example, I run F@h on several machines, and I enjoy being able to control all of them. Since I can just connect to all the different FAHClient instances through 36330, it really makes administration easier.

Web Control uses a different port, 7396, for communication with FAHClient. When you visit folding.stanford.edu/client, you're actually just loading the interface from your own machine, not from Stanford. Since Web Control only talks to the local machine, you don't have to mess with its port in your router.

Thus, you don't usually need to open a hole in your router unless you are connecting to the F@h software from outside your router.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.