Which GPU for my dedicated Folding@Home PC

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dreamscape

Which GPU for my dedicated Folding@Home PC

Post by dreamscape »

Hi all

I have a Core 2 Duo machine here which I use pretty much exclusively for Folding@Home. It now has a new purpose which requires a video card with S-video out.

Of course... If I'm going to be adding a GPU to this machine... Ideally I want it to do some work! So my question is, Which GPU can I use which is cheap to run (electric) is old enough that it has S video out but also will be able to fold for some time yet?? PPD isn't my main concern its mainly cost of the card and energy use as our KW/h rate sucks...

I was thinking an Nvidia 8400 GS or something...? Budget card yes but I'm sure it would do something and at about 17 watts max it's not going to cost a fortune to leave on 24/7. Any better suggestions welcomed though as I'm sure the 8400 GS isn't even on the list of compatible GPU's anymore.

Any advice is appreciated.
jason403

Re: Which GPU for my dedicated Folding@Home PC

Post by jason403 »

Nvidia GTX 750ti
Nert

Post by Nert »

The 750 TI is a great card from a points per watt perspective. My core 2 duo machine gives me 25 - 56 K points per day with the quick return bonus. The variance is based on which type of unit is being folded. The x'15 units give about half the points that the x'17 units do.

The bad news is that I'm pretty sure that the GTX 750 TI does not have S Video output, which is one of the requirements. Mine has HDMI, display port and DVI. Getting S video would require some kind of conversion, I think. I don't know whether it's even possible to do this or how it's done.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

G80 class NV GPUs are no longer supported for folding. You would need a Fermi class (4xx series or above) GPU. Sorry, SVideo is very rare in that class of GPU. But you can go from a more common VGA to SVideo via adapter. But to buy new, it will be hard to find anything less than a low end 6xx or 7xx card, which is better, and not much more $.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

The 750ti offers one of the better PPD-to-power ratios, and the MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC G-SYNC (newegg item number N82E16814127784) with rebate is just under $100. It supports a VGA output, and with adapter PC 15 Pin VGA Male to TV S-Video/RCA Female AV OUT Adapter Cable (newegg item number 9SIA4SR1V61180) for about $5 you should be able to support your s-video monitor.
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235