Folding again

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

100%VG
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual Core 2.8GHz CPU
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Re: Folding again

Post by 100%VG »

I edited the GPU and added:

NAME___________ VALUE
client-type_______ beta
max-packet-size__ small

Is this the right thing to do?
Folding on a Dedicated Computer at Full Speed
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, that should get a Core_15 WU assigned to your GPU slot.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

Joe_H wrote:Yes, that should get a Core_15 WU assigned to your GPU slot.
The Browser (IE10) doesn't show the Project Number, but FAHControl shows it as 7621, and it is running! :D The GPU is running at 99% and about 71°C. The alarm is set to go off at 80°C. The project is at 1.85% already.

BTW, this is not an Overclocked PC.

Thanks for everything, guys!!!
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's highly unlikely that you'll find any beta projects which will assign to your GTS250. Beta testing is for new projects and they are going to be configured to use Core_17 or _18 using GPUs that are Fermi or above. You're certainly welcome to apply to join the beta team if you follow the link I gave above, though.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Add max packet size the same way as adding the client type, just be sure to add to the GPU slot only, on the Slots tab.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

bruce wrote:It's highly unlikely that you'll find any beta projects which will assign to your GTS250. Beta testing is for new projects and they are going to be configured to use Core_17 or _18 using GPUs that are Fermi or above.
I don't know if beta is still required to get Core_15 work for pre-Fermi cards such as this GTS 250, but initially it was. It was an opt-in choice as not all pre-Fermi cards could process WU's using Core_15.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

Installing v7.4.4, and setting the GPU slot to client-type beta and max-packet-size small has me Folding with the GPU again & the GTS 250. This is all I really wanted, so I don't care if they are actually Beta jobs or not. If they are Beta and I lose some, that is better than getting none to the GPU at all. I'll take it for as long as it lasts, and hopefully they will complete, submit, and get another.

Thanks, Bruce. If/when I get a video card that can handle it, I'll accept your invitation to apply to joint the beta team.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

Hello again,

I'm looking for a new video card for the same PC in my first post here. The motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot and four PCIe 2.0 slots. I'm looking for a card that will accept a standard DVI cable of the older type. The monitor will not accept the kind with the wider key. According to this picture, I need DVI-D.

Sorry to ask you, but I get overwhelmed looking for these things. Do you have any recommendations for me? I want it to support the new GPU Folding Standards.

Thanks,

Craig
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

The cable you have now should work any modern card, even if a new cable does not work in your older monitor.

This cable should match your old monitor and plug in any new card amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Digital-Monitor-P561-010/dp/B0001PFPX6

Here is Nvidia's explanation http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... -and-dvi-d
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

In other words, all you have to do is find a cable that works with your monitor. It may have fewer pins than than the GPU will accept, but they're not needed and the cable will still plug in to the GPU.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

JimboPalmer wrote:This cable should match your old monitor and plug in any new card amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Digital-Monitor-P561-010/dp/B0001PFPX6
My cables are similar to that one. Some have full rows of pins, too.
JimboPalmer wrote:Here is Nvidia's explanation http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... -and-dvi-d
Thank you so much for this!!! Image I need one of these DVI-I to VGA Adapters for another application, so I'll get two of them. Now I can get pretty much any video card. Research showed me that even a PCIe 3.0 card will work fine in a PCIe 2.0 slot.

Thanks again! Image

Craig
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

bruce wrote:In other words, all you have to do is find a cable that works with your monitor. It may have fewer pins than than the GPU will accept, but they're not needed and the cable will still plug in to the GPU.
This makes sense as well. Thanks. I'll use the cable I have for the Folding PC, and get two DVI-I to VGA Adapters for other things.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

I'd still like to know, what's a good video card to support the new GPU Folding Standards? I doubt the GeForce GTS 5250 GPU will cut it. I was offered to join the Beta Program (back in this thread) if I had a good enough card. I think that PC has been upgraded to Windows 10. If not, it could be soon.

Again, for convenience, the motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot and four PCIe 2.0 slots.

Or at least please tell me what was meant by, "you can use any new card." I can by a new card that is old stock. Cards of at least what spec?
Last edited by 100%VG on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

I edited the post above quite a number of times, so this is a bump. Please read it again.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

In a Nvidia card the last two digits tell you how powerful the card is, and the first one or two digits tell you haw new it is. I do not recommend anything less than a GTX 745.

(a GTX 1030 is newer than a GTX 970, but not faster)

The 400 to mid 700 cards are a generation older,(code name Fermi) but starting with 745 they are a recent card (Maxwell was the code name, modern cards are code named Pascal, but the difference in programming is minor)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_( ... chitecture)

On the AMD side the code name is Graphics Core Next (GCN) and has been since the HD 7000 series and the Radeon 200, 300 ,400 etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next

As the cards get more powerful, they need more electrical cables, a bigger power supply, and better cooling. Since my case is low profile with a small power supply, I use a GTX 1050ti low profile card. Under $150 and 145,000 Points Per Day. It needs no additional power cables.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends