Is my GPU working correctly

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Is my GPU working correctly

Post by bruce »

Doing a clean install as davidcoton suggests will avoid a couple of important issues. The CPU WU would probably survive and resume quite happily but the GPU WU would not. The 750Ti and the 98xx series GPUs are radically different, internally, and the interface between FAH and the Drivers also changes. Removing one GPU and replacing it with a similar GPU often works, but replacing it with a dissimilar one leads to a number of potential problems ... plus the WUs are quite different.

FAH needs to configure your new GPU correctly, and that really only happens when you reinstall FAH.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

My present GPU is a GT 520 but I imagine the principle is the same.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I misstated your old GPU, but the GT520 has a GF108 chip in it (Fermi) and the GTX750Ti has a GM107 (Maxwell-1) so yes, it's the same principle.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Thanks for the info.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

OK, I have got my MSI 7500 Ti and after much gnashing of teeth, I have got it , sort of, working. I say sort of because the HP Pavillion P6 bios does not allow normal loading of Windows with this card, it stops at the blue bios flash screen with the keyboard no longer responsive. The MSI card has a hybrid bios which should boot into either UEFI or Legacy bios. However, the UEFI bios on the HP is not GOP (graphics output protocol) compliant so when the system boots the video card sees the URFI bios and attempts to use that but stalls because there is no GOP. The only work around I have found is to tap F12 at startup which takes the machine to a Network Bootup screen and after a minute or so of it loads Windows 10 normally with msinfo showing the bios mode as Legacy. Not the most convenient method but is OK for now. After several days of running FAH 24/7 I can find no further problems. In fact the PPD now is greater than I expected. Previously I was getting around 3500 PPD with my GT 520 and now I am getting in excess of 50000 PPD.

Do I need to post a log to check I am maxing out my GPU or do those PPD figures look good?

bruce

Post by bruce »

The GT 750 Ti is a mid-range GPU with pretty good performance and relatively low power demands. There really are no configuration settings that can alter it's performance except to suspend folding when you're using the computer. With the slider in the medium position, that's probably what's happening now. Some GPUs are fast enough to get reasonable desktop performance while folding and other GPUs introduce enough desktop lag that suspending the GPU is a good idea. You'll have to be the judge of that. Move the slider to FULL and see how it feels when you're using the computer. You can always go back to MEDIUM if that's something you'd rather have.

Your CPU is a dual-core CPU. One is reserved to feed data to the GPU and the other is folding while you're working. That's the best setting.

There are a couple of advanced settings that might make a VERY small improvement in performance, but they really don't amount to much.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

OK, thanks for the advice/info.