BSOD/Boot Loop

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

strojac

BSOD/Boot Loop

Post by strojac »

Love the premise, I am personally affected by many of these diseases, and have a great rig to help! However, everytime the application opens, my PC BSODs. And, it was in my startup programs. Which bootlooped me, but I fixed it but going into safe mode. Anyway, how can I fix this? I have everything stock clocked: AMD FX 8350, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, and 16GB 1866 mhz G.Skill Sniper memory. I did notice that the application is x86 instead of x64, could that be the issue?
bollix47

Re: BSOD/Boot Loop

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the folding@home support forum strojac.

Before we can be of much assistance we need to see the System Information & the config sections as shown in your log.txt file. Please see viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036 for instructions on how to share that information.

How did you install the driver for your 970? You need to download and install the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.com/drivers in order to properly support your GPU for folding.

Other possible causes for BSOD include temperatures getting too high or not enough power. We can help you narrow things down once we see your log.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Could also be a weak PSU that can't handle all the power required by CPU + GPU ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I did notice that the application is x86 instead of x64, could that be the issue?
No. WIndows-64 will happily run a mixture, including 32-bit applications. Linux will too, although some stripped-down Distros may need you to add the 32-bit libraries.

If an application doesn't need the added features of 64-bit (like a bigger address space), the 32-bit code is smaller and consumes fewer resources. Then, too, Stanford only has to support one version.

When a WU is assigned, it may invoke a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of FahCore_xx, depending on the nature of the analysis.