GPU not working

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dtallon13

GPU not working

Post by dtallon13 »

Hello,

I'm relatively new to this. I've been able to fold with CPU but GPU does not work.

I'm using an old dual Xeon system that I threw four GT210s in. F@H client sees them but tries to get the WUs from 0.0.0.0, how do I fix this?
Last edited by dtallon13 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtallon13

Re: GPU not working

Post by dtallon13 »

Update: I also tested a Quadro FX 1700 (different machine too) and nothing happened. The only other GPUs I can borrow are Radeon X1300s from school. I did, however, get an AIO with a Radeon HD 7600A running both CPU and GPU.
Last edited by dtallon13 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

Your GT 210 cards use Tesla based GPU's. These older pre-Fermi GPU's are only semi-supported for folding as the main projects that were assigned to them ran out about a year and a half ago. A few projects that use a later folding core can run on some pre-Fermi GPU's, but they are also approaching end of life. For assignment purposes these need to be opted into and require two additional options to be set.

If you want to opt in, add the following options to your GPU slots:

max-packet-size set to small

client-type set to beta

While the beta flag is being used in combination with the size setting, these WU's are no longer beta. The two settings together just are being used to indicate to the AS that you want to process these older projects.

Edit: The same issue applies to the Quadro card, it is pre-Fermi. As for the Radeon card, that is too old. The minimum required ATI series Radeon card is the HD 5000 cards. The lower power cards from that series may not work at all, or not complete within deadlines.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
dtallon13

Post by dtallon13 »

Joe_H wrote:Welcome to the folding support forum.

Your GT 210 cards use Tesla based GPU's. These older pre-Fermi GPU's are only semi-supported for folding as the main projects that were assigned to them ran out about a year and a half ago. A few projects that use a later folding core can run on some pre-Fermi GPU's, but they are also approaching end of life. For assignment purposes these need to be opted into and require two additional options to be set.

If you want to opt in, add the following options to your GPU slots:

client-type set to beta

While the beta flag is being used in combination with the size setting, these WU's are no longer beta. The two settings together just are being used to indicate to the AS that you want to process these older projects.

Edit: The same issue applies to the Quadro card, it is pre-Fermi. As for the Radeon card, that is too old. The minimum required ATI series Radeon card is the HD 5000 cards. The lower power cards from that series may not work at all, or not complete within deadlines.

Thanks for the reply! I'll see if I can get that to work.
dtallon13

Post by dtallon13 »

Joe_H wrote:

client-type set to beta

Okay, it's showing Work and Collection Server addresses now after a reboot. But again, the CPU gets right to business and the GPUs do nothing. This time, it says they're waiting on FahCore Run.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

By default, the as installed settings for GPU folding slots are to run when the system is idle. That is defined by either the screen being shut down or the screen saver starting up. You can also set the slots to fold all of the time by right clicking on the slot in FAHControl.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
dtallon13

Post by dtallon13 »

Joe_H wrote:By default, the as installed settings for GPU folding slots are to run when the system is idle. That is defined by either the screen being shut down or the screen saver starting up. You can also set the slots to fold all of the time by right clicking on the slot in FAHControl.
Can you provide a screenshot please?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
dtallon13

Post by dtallon13 »

This is what it shows

Sometimes it does this too.
Last edited by dtallon13 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonasTheMovie

Post by JonasTheMovie »

What happens if you remove the CPU-slot?
bruce

Post by bruce »

In those two screen-shots, you'll notice that status of the GPU WUs changed from READY to UPDATE_CORE, which is a good sign.

First, I would pause 3 of the 4 GPUs and see if it will run by itself. If it does, then allow a second one to start folding., etc. Sometimes when multiple slots try to update the core simultaneously, the FAHClient has problems although I've never seen four of them all trying at the same time.

In either case, it would be helpful to see the top segment of your log. (See instructions in my signature.)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, if all 4 slots are running the same core type, and one or more slots is trying to update that core, all slots except the actively folding slots will stop in the Core Updating status until that last slot is no longer in use.

Pause all slots. Start one GPU slot and let it get going until it shows at least 1% completed. Then pause it, and start the next slot. Rinse, Repeat.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Disasterme

Post by Disasterme »

Last edited by Disasterme on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Which GPU drivers did you install?

Which Operating System are you running?

We really need to see the log (see my previous post).