A few questions, CPU usage and points on same ID?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

timberwolf

Re: A few questions, CPU usage and points on same ID?

Post by timberwolf »

Hi,
So now that I've been using this for a few days, I have yet another question.
I have two machines with supporting graphics cards. However neither card is up to the task of completing the WU in time. How can I disable the GPU from being used? Furthermore it seems that, despite one of the cards being apart from the CPU, it still takes one core away from the CPU (I'm seeing CPU:7, when it should be able to utilize all of its resources).
Also - is there a way to enable folding on battery power if one chooses?
Any help greatly appreciated.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

You can use the custom setup in the client to delete the GPU slot, and add or modify the CPU slot. If you think the current GPU WU might finish on time, use the "Finish" button on that slot before you delete the slot; otherwise you can delete it now. If you use the computer a lot for other stuff, you may want to keep the CPU slot at 7, so 1 thread is always immediately available for foreground use. Depending on the CPU, release lag may be noticeable when all threads are Folding.

There is a setting in the client configuration for Folding on battery (I do not have an installed client on my laptop to check the specifics right now), but I have not tried it recently. However, Folding on battery power significantly reduces battery life. Also, depending on the power profile, the CPU clock may be reduced when on battery power, so output will be reduced and impact on foreground apps will be more noticeable.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

jrweiss wrote:You can use the custom setup in the client to delete the GPU slot, and add or modify the CPU slot. If you think the current GPU WU might finish on time, use the "Finish" button on that slot before you delete the slot; otherwise you can delete it now. If you use the computer a lot for other stuff, you may want to keep the CPU slot at 7, so 1 thread is always immediately available for foreground use. Depending on the CPU, release lag may be noticeable when all threads are Folding.
Where would I find the custom setup? Not able to find it anywhere, unless it's in advanced, in which case, on windows and mac both, it is completely 100 percent inaccessible with a screen reader.
Also, have a friend who is curious about a laptop with an i7-3610QM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M GPU. Would this be a good combination for folding?
Thanks
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

What jrweiss is referring to is the Configure pane on FAHControl. So, yes it is not easily accessible to you as a blind person. By default you should not be seeing any GPU slot configured on a Mac running OS X. But it is possible if you have it running Windows using BootCamp and have a supported video card.

For a Windows machine, one way to remove a GPU slot without using FAHControl and its Configure pane is reinstalling. You would have to completely uninstall including removing data files. On the reinstall, answer No to the setup question about folding on your GPU. Then the setup should only create a CPU slot.

It might be possible to remove the GPU slot using command line access such as I posted for changing the number of CPU cores used. I would have to research that a bit though.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

Hi,
Just tried this now. Was never asked if I wanted GPU slot, it automatically showed up.
Made sure to remove everything from appdata as well.
Is there some sort of config file I can edit?
thanks