Flops to points

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WMCheerman

Flops to points

Post by WMCheerman »

I was wondering if there is a any correlation between FLOPS and the points that Folding@home give out? If not is there any way to calculate my accurate FLOPS output here at Folding@home?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Flops to points

Post by foldy »

A gtx 980 ti is specified around 6 TFLOPs and gets 500,000 PPD. So 6 TFLOP per second and 500K points per day.

Some math: 6 TFLOPs * 60s * 60m *24h = 518,400 TFLOP per day

So looks like PPD is similar to TFLOP per day (on current nvidia GPUs).

The other way round: If you get e.g. 100,000 PPD then your TFLOPs is
TFLOPs = 100,000 PPD / 24h / 60m / 60s = 1.16 TFLOPs in folding@home
bruce

Post by bruce »

WMCheerman wrote:I was wondering if there is a any correlation between FLOPS and the points that Folding@home give out? If not is there any way to calculate my accurate FLOPS output here at Folding@home?
Part of the reason why they won't correlate is the time-dependent bonus. If 10 machines each process a WU and another machine with 10x the FLOPs processes 10 WUs from the same project, they'll take about the same length of time and will represent the same FLOPs.

The Points will be radically different.

If people kept track of baseline points rather than [baseline+bonus], one might be able to find a correlation, but nobody I know pays any attention to isolating the baseline points.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The FLOPs are directly measured (sampled) from the fahcore performance (in the returned work units). In addition to the bonus points not correlating to FLOPs, the size and complexity of work units also skews direct (apples to apples) comparisons for the many various hardware types. The FLOPs FAQ explains other variations as well.

See also: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-flops/
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.