GTX 970 failing with FahCore 0x21 work units

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

suprleg

Re: GTX 970 failing with FahCore 0x21 work units

Post by suprleg »

foldy wrote:I think it is the same like this viewtopic.php?f=74&t=28984
Download latest Nvidia driver -> problem fixed.
I agree the, 'FS01:0x21:ERROR:Bad platformId size' error, can be eliminated with a driver re-install or update, however I don't think that's the issue here. There's some sort of mis-configuration in my opinion.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Is gpus.txt up-to-date?
rfharbin
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MoBo
Cooler Master HAF series RC-932-KKN5 Case
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Cooler Master RS 750 Power Supply
Intel Core i7- 6700K CPU 8M 4.0 Ghz CPU
1 Tetra Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162
GSKILL Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 Memory
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner
Cooler Master 120mm CPU Cooler
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SSD

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

This thread will have to be put on hold for a while.
I uninstalled FAH and then did a thorough of the computer cleaning up anything could find related to FAH. Removing the program whether using Windows Program and Features or a another program like Wise or Revco does not remove everything. I found a file containing FahCore_a21 and FahCore_a4 for example left on my computer. I also cleaned out stuff in my Admin and Standard user accounts under AppData\Roaming. I spent a lot of time searching 'C:" Drive and the Admin and Standard user accounts. Next I downloaded a new copy of the fah installer and installed it in my Standard user account that I always use. Now both the CPU and GPU units are folding OK.

I will have to wait to see if a FahCore _21 unit will work as I have a FahCore_18 now.

When I set this computer up in mid May I installed almost everything in my Admin account because it is easier to do so there. That may have contributed to my problem. This last few days I used both user accounts to remove and reinstall not thinking that there could be anything harmful doing so.

Thanks for the help.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I have never found any value in installing more than one copy of FAH ... it generally just creates problems.

You may already know all this:
1) Windows prohibits the GPU from being used by any logon-id except the one that currently owns the display.
2) If you log on to various IDs, and each has a copy of FAH, each will be working on a different set of WUs, diminishing PPD. (By default, the queue is stored in %APPDATA% which means the user-id is in the path.)
3) CPU WUs can be run from the logon-ID or from a service install. That MIGHT be a befit, but it certainly complicates things ... and over-committing the number of CPUs is costly.
4) FAH V7.4.4 does not recover from an interruption in your internet connection during an upload or download without a restart. (We keep hoping this will be fixed one of these days.)