FAH no work after update 1607 (8/8/16)

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rfharbin
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MoBo
Cooler Master HAF series RC-932-KKN5 Case
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Cooler Master RS 750 Power Supply
Intel Core i7- 6700K CPU 8M 4.0 Ghz CPU
1 Tetra Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162
GSKILL Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 Memory
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner
Cooler Master 120mm CPU Cooler
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SSD

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Re: FAH no work after update 1607 (8/8/16)

Post by rfharbin »

Yes, but if I log out FAH is borked when I log in. The original problem and I must uninstall and reinstall both NVidia and FAH.
I am thinking that it could be Microsoft mischief.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

What do you mean with FAH is borked? Can you post the fah logfile?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

rfharbin wrote:Yes, but if I log out FAH is borked when I log in. The original problem and I must uninstall and reinstall both NVidia and FAH.
I am thinking that it could be Microsoft mischief.
Legacy installer issue. Client must be installed as Admin, but if you run from a different user account, you have to copy the Folding@home item in the Startup folder of the Admin account to whatever account you are using.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

Client was installed in my Admin user account and a shortcut was put in the Classic Shell start in my standard account.

It does bother me but things could be worse. My Lenovo laptop has not worked for two days now after the first update after the !607 update tried to install. I have a dual on it with Linux Mint and at least Mint allows me to use it. I am learning a lot, in a shorter time than I care to. Too long a story to tell here. Also a legacy problem somehow with the Formatting.
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

I had to delay working on my problem for a while because of too much going on here.

I had everything working good until the 1607 update and then this computer and our laptop were both messed up. This desktop had the MS install of The NVidia driver missing OpenCL.dll and in trying to fix this problem I removed and reinstalled the driver an FAH in whatever profile I was in thus causing the confusion of multiple problems. I got things going temporarily by loading FAH and the NVidia driver properly and then switching to my Admin profiles to start FAH.

Things that may help you all; 1... I am running Classic Shell Menu in it’s Win7 mode;
I have prevented Win10 from updating my drivers; I added a FAHControl Shortcut to the Win10 start and it works properly when used in the Admin profile, I cannot go to it via File Explorer and get the shortcut to open FAHControl properly when in the Standard profile; When trying the FAH Client in the standard profile it starts a second copy of FAH, it does not start up where the present FAH left off.

Also note that mid May when I had Newegg ship the parts to a local shop to be assembled I loaded my programs in the Administrative profile as has been my normal practice and FAH started automatically and run good. At that time the operating system was Win10 1511.

When I downloaded the Windows build update 1607 and this started my FAH problem. Now I have FAH running but it will only start automatically in the Administrative profile. Before the 1607 update, FAH started on booting up into the standard profile.

After the confusion is removed now I am hoping that I can get FAH to start up as I have had it start up for years now, by booting up into my standard profile and having FAH start automatically. Notice that I put a GPU in during the new build in mid May but FAH did start automatically as before. I have tried multiple ways to get FAH to start in my standard profile via a shortcut and am baffled as how to do so.

IF I had not made all the confusion I would have posted that the Win10 1607 changed something so I cannot figure out how to get FAH to start automatically in a standard user profile. But I did not want to leave this thread up in the air.

Thank you very much for your help and patience.
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

I have been checking the posts here but no one seems to be having the same problem with Win10-1607. I tried every way I could think of to get a Admin shortcut to my standard profile that would work OK but failed.

I did find a work-around though. I put a shortcut to the Web Control that appears when installing FAH into the Startup folder. “C:\users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\startup” This will start FAH on log-in and also on restart, The Web Control is http://folding.stanford.edu/client/..
bruce

Post by bruce »

I belive the legacy problem will probably never be fixed. (I hope I'm wrong.) One obvious symptom of the findamental problem is the missing startup shortcut. Less obvious is that FAH was never designed to run from more than one Windows user account.

This isn't a major drawback, because any one account can make use of all available resources, but it's a minor inconvenience for a machine that's constantly switching between one account and another.

The simplest solution that I've found: Install FAH from the account that's logged on most of the time. Windows will get to the point that it needs Admin authorization to make changes to your system and it will ask you for permission before proceeding. Depending on how your security is set up, you may or may not have to enter the name and password of an Admin account, but with this information, the installation will proceed. (I always log on as "me" and accept the default "install just for me")