Can't find a GPU instalation

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fluffy2000

Can't find a GPU instalation

Post by fluffy2000 »

Hi guys I have a GPU on my computer but can't find a GPU installation only a CPU one have they been stopped anyone help thanks.

I have a nividia quadro NVS 290
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can't find a GPU instalation

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The projects that were originally assigned to cards of this vintage ran out over a year ago. Some of these pre-Fermi GPU's could be used to fold a slightly newer generation of projects, but those ran out earlier this year. I am not certain if this card was in the group that could be used.

As for the installation, there is just one standard folding client for both CPU and GPU usage, it is not a separate download for GPU folding.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
fluffy2000

Post by fluffy2000 »

thanks joe so how can i run on the GPU and CPU?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

You would need to replace the GPU with a newer model to run a GPU slot for folding, as there are no more work units that can run on this older technology. Otherwise, run the CPU client slot until you do upgrade.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

nividia quadro NVS 290 is a very early Tesla based card. It is unlikely that it could run any core since Core_11 which was end of life in August of 2013. http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/08 ... ore78.html

Core_17, mentioned in that post as new, is pretty much EOL today. Time marches on and Core_21 is current for GPUs.

On the CPU side, there have been few interesting changes since the Pentium 5, so Core_a4 is much as it was. A new CPU is in beta (Core_a8) that may well only run on Haswell or newer CPUs.

For a researcher, it would be horrible to switch cores in mid project, so Work Units for End of Life cores still exist until every researcher's project using it has finished. End of Life just means they should not start new projects based on that core.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends