Fails to download core

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bo_Herrmannsen

Re: Fails to download core

Post by Bo_Herrmannsen »

my card does not have an 8 pin connector... must a "green" variant...

but oh well i got 1 cpu core more out of it. now i just need to wait that something starts to leak smoke :-D
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Or does it have a 6-pin connector? That can supplement the 75 W from the PCIe slot with another 75 W.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Bo_Herrmannsen

Post by Bo_Herrmannsen »

no connector at all :-D
bruce

Post by bruce »

Bo_Herrmannsen wrote:Why not keep using it? granted i assume that the reason is that it will be very slow etc etc.... But cant the core for it be made so we can still use it ?

Just trashing hardware because its old is sad
The core already exists, but he scientists are not creating new projects to run on it. Everybody is working on increasingly complex proteins demanding additional analytical capabilities ... and they want their projects to finish within a reasonable number of months rather than a number of years (or longer).

The hardware is not trash... it just isn't sufficient for the type of research that FAH does.

By the way, each new generation of GPUs gets more work done for the same amount of electricity (or just plain uses less).