HELP ME OUT HERE

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FAMAS

HELP ME OUT HERE

Post by FAMAS »

i searched the internet on tweaking safe mode to load sound and graphics drivers. found the registry tweak for sound drivers, now i am playing "we fight for love" in safe mode. now somebody help me out with tweaking into loading gpu drivers in safe mode.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: HELP ME OUT HERE

Post by 7im »

Not a common request here, and not smart to fight against what the OS does on purpose. There are better websites and forums to find an answer to this odd question.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

7im wrote:Not a common request here, and not smart to fight against what the OS does on purpose. There are better websites and forums to find an answer to this odd question.
not odd, sensible. on my cpu-only folding device, i run it on safe mode and get performance boosts significant enough to have it run at that all the time. now if i can find out how to enable gpu in safe mode then i can do the same on my gpu folding device, another one. and foldingforum would BE the possible place where people would seek out to maximize the FLOPS output.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I never heared someone run folding in safe mode. If your normal mode is slower than safe mode it means in normal mode something is loaded in background which slows your CPU down. Maybe check that first? msconfig e.g. shows what is started in background
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

foldy wrote:I never heared someone run folding in safe mode. If your normal mode is slower than safe mode it means in normal mode something is loaded in background which slows your CPU down. Maybe check that first? msconfig e.g. shows what is started in background
i am not new in the performance computing scene. i know very well which and what can slow down the operating system in normal mode and shutting them down one by one takes effort so one hit to get them all that is safe mode.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

How much performance difference on the CPU client?

Yes, this is the place to get help optimizing the CLIENT, and some general OS and hardware suggestions. Extreme measures are almost always better handled by the web sites that cater to those endeavors.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

7im wrote:How much performance difference on the CPU client?

Yes, this is the place to get help optimizing the CLIENT, and some general OS and hardware suggestions. Extreme measures are almost always better handled by the web sites that cater to those endeavors.
on normal mode, work units take 12 hours average, on safe mode, 8 hours on average. now i am waiting for other users to comment.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Can you share what project/WU and what CPU/config you have ? Log file, first 100 lines (until and including config) would be nice
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

While I can see why you might WANT help doing something as inappropriate as running safe mode all the time, those of us with any assets to be sued, would be unwise to actually give you advice on how to do what you want.

That does not effect what you want.
Just what you get.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

FAMAS wrote:
7im wrote:How much performance difference on the CPU client?

on normal mode, work units take 12 hours average, on safe mode, 8 hours on average. now i am waiting for other users to comment.
Since WU's come in different sizes, and take different lengths of time to complete, unless you are comparing WU's from the same project the comparison may not be valid. So besides the config information, portions of logs showing at least 10% of a WU being completed under both setups would be needed to properly compare run times.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ChristianVirtual

JimboPalmer wrote: as inappropriate as running safe mode all the time, those of us with any assets to be sued, would be unwise to actually give you advice on how to do what you want.
Why ? While maybe not wise to run in safe mode, what makes it a risk for others to be sued ?
ImageImage
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

ChristianVirtual wrote:
JimboPalmer wrote: as inappropriate as running safe mode all the time, those of us with any assets to be sued, would be unwise to actually give you advice on how to do what you want.
Why ? While maybe not wise to run in safe mode, what makes it a risk for others to be sued ?
The point of safe mode is to run the minimum OS possible, which is not how you wish to attach to a hostile environment like the Internet.

I am most familiar with the Safe Mode in Windows XP, which may not be the OS being discussed. So far as I know, no scheduled Anti Virus will run in safe mode, as the scheduler itself is disabled. AVG, the antivirus I use most, will not run as a GUI in safe mode, it only works in the DOS box and then as a reduced feature scan.

The Networking stack is simplified, and some Firewall rules will not work in Safe Mode, leaving you with impaired AV and an impaired Firewall.

Other scheduled events like disk clean up and defragmentation will also not work in safe mode, but compared to the realization you have effectively removed all virus scanning that seems innocent.

If you were doing a task with no need to leave the local network, I would advise you to omit the default gateway in your IP configuration, which limits malwares ability to phone home. Sadly, F@H is not such a task. It requires a link to Stanford.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ChristianVirtual

JimboPalmer wrote: The point of safe mode is to run the minimum OS possible, which is not how you wish to attach to a hostile environment like the Internet.
<snip>
F@H is not such a task. It requires a link to Stanford.
I know the safe mode only from user view at work; never had to care about details.

Thanks for the insights ; clear ...
ImageImage
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

JimboPalmer wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:
The point of safe mode is to run the minimum OS possible, which is not how you wish to attach to a hostile environment like the Internet.

I am most familiar with the Safe Mode in Windows XP, which may not be the OS being discussed. So far as I know, no scheduled Anti Virus will run in safe mode, as the scheduler itself is disabled. AVG, the antivirus I use most, will not run as a GUI in safe mode, it only works in the DOS box and then as a reduced feature scan.

The Networking stack is simplified, and some Firewall rules will not work in Safe Mode, leaving you with impaired AV and an impaired Firewall.

Other scheduled events like disk clean up and defragmentation will also not work in safe mode, but compared to the realization you have effectively removed all virus scanning that seems innocent.

If you were doing a task with no need to leave the local network, I would advise you to omit the default gateway in your IP configuration, which limits malwares ability to phone home. Sadly, F@H is not such a task. It requires a link to Stanford.
disabling all that IS THE POINT for which i run folding@home in safe mode. performance at the expense of security and maintenance loads, fully aware of the consequential exposure to malwares. but i am not seeking help on that, i am seeking help on enabling gpu in safe mode, which is still unanswered.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Can you share what project/WU and what CPU/config you have ? Log file, first 100 lines (until and including config) would be nice
not needed. not the problem. see first post of thread.