HELP ME OUT HERE

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: HELP ME OUT HERE

Post by foldy »

You want help how to tweak your system for folding especially run GPU in safe-mode but don't want to show us the logfiles where we can verify how much the CPU speedup in safe-mode really is?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

What operating system did you want to attempt this with? Providing some system details is usually the place to start on this forum.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The difference between Safe Mode and standard mode is that MS disables anything non-essential that, in their estimation of the most obscure possibilities, might be "unsafe" leaving just enough to enable a system to boot but not necessarily do anything except OS recovery steps. The OS can be booted without a functional GPU (rendering graphics on the cpu) so I'm not surprised that they have disabled it.

On the other hand, you can disable all those non-essential features yourself with tools like msconfig. In fact, there are tweak-laden sites with informational lists of what other folks consider non-essential. I suggest you start disabling anything you don't need -- other than the GPU -- and see how far you can go. It seems unlikely that you'll be able to add GPU support to safe-mode, but you can certainly strip the OS down to bare essentials yourself.
Spongebob25
Hardware configuration: Asus z490
i7 11700k
32 GB Gskill ram
Evga 2080 XC Black
1 TB Samsung 980 SSD

Post by Spongebob25 »

If you are concerned with speed, why are you folding on CPU? The most efficient power/ppd is with gpus! I know of no way on enabling the gpu in safe mode.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

Spongebob25 wrote:If you are concerned with speed, why are you folding on CPU? The most efficient power/ppd is with gpus! I know of no way on enabling the gpu in safe mode.
same reply i did on another forum thread: throwing everything i got into this. i have two devices running on intel gpu which folding@home do not support, so cpu at max.