memory clocks

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Glennmas

memory clocks

Post by Glennmas »

So first of all because i have a gpu from nvidia I do want to say I am on the recommanded driver from the FAH news so now my topic.
when I am folding I noticed that the memory clock isnt used to its full potential it does not use the max speed that it can go it will run at about a 150mhz slower is this intended as a safety or somthing or is it a bug or do I only have this issue thanks for the help.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: memory clocks

Post by Joe_H »

No reason to push the memory clock up, it actually has little do with the speed with which GPU folding is processed. Higher clock speed on the GPU memory also increases the heat output which may limit how much the shaders which do the processing can be sped up.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Glennmas

Post by Glennmas »

I also noticed that my card wont go over base clock when im just folding however when i open a youtube video pause card will go over base clock and just boost fine coul this be driver related?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

When folding GPU does not use highest boost state P0 but a lower one P1. This is why gpu memory has a lower mhz and this saves some power watt usage.
But it should still boost gpu clock. Another guy reported this with a gtx 970 on Windows 10 but the problem disappered after some time on its own.
Glennmas

Post by Glennmas »

oke thanks for the info i noticed that my card just didnt boost when i was just folding so im just opening youtube and pausing a video just wanted to give the issue some attentions :D ty for the reply
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Maybe try change power mode in nvidia settings if this helps also.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... erformance
Glennmas

Post by Glennmas »

im on highest power mode (overclocked my card to but stable never had a problem with any folding wus or bencmarks/stresstests) but nvidia drivers are pretty bad at the moment im on the recommanded driver but still some small issues with it. But thanks for the help
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Glennmas wrote:So first of all because i have a gpu from nvidia I do want to say I am on the recommanded driver from the FAH news so now my topic.
when I am folding I noticed that the memory clock isnt used to its full potential it does not use the max speed that it can go it will run at about a 150mhz slower is this intended as a safety or somthing or is it a bug or do I only have this issue thanks for the help.
I have noticed the same, and I don't know why when running GPGPU tasks, the performance states are weird.

When gaming, the GPU is in P0 state, which means that it will be running at maximum memory and GPU clocks (with boost). There is another state called P2, where memory run a bit slower (what you're seeing) but where GPU should also run in a lower state (something in the 500 MHz range) which is used for light GPU loads (or video decoding).

When running FAH, I see that nVidia Inspector reports that the GPU is in P2 state, but it is also running at full speed with boost which is a bit weird ... so basically, we're seeing P2 state for memory and P0 state for GPU at the same time. This cause some overclocking utilities to not work very well ... for instance, MSI Afterburner can change the P0 characteristics of the GPU, but not the memory clock.

I never understood why it works like this, but since FAH is not affected by memory clocks, it's finally good for us (lower memory clocks reduces the power consumption a little).
Glennmas wrote:I also noticed that my card wont go over base clock when im just folding however when i open a youtube video pause card will go over base clock and just boost fine coul this be driver related?
I think this is a bug I'm seeing with certain applications : some applications (sometimes, Windows tools like setting screens, windows updates, ...) will lower the GPU to base clock. I've also seen this on Slack Desktop for instance, and other applications using the same framework (Electron). If you run some other applications in addition to the problematic one (Firefox is a good example in my case), the GPU will go back to boost clocks.

So to summarize your issue, you probably have an application running on your machine that disturbs the GPU ... so if you want to maximize your performance, you should find it and keep it closed when you don't need it. For instance, when I don't use the computer, I close every applications and sit on desktop. Other option, once you know what application causes the issue, is to use it in addition to another application that helps solve the issue when you need to use the problematic one.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.