can't view F@H website

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: can't view F@H website

Post by foldy »

You could try to replace your Internet Service Provider DNS server settings with e.g. Google DNS Servers. Then all DNS requests for "assign4.stanford.edu" or any website go to Google first and that should return the correct ip addresse 171.64.65.35 and so on. This is all under the hood so you do not see a difference other than stanford sites work now. You can google it how to use google dns servers.
avalanche222

Post by avalanche222 »

Very weird. I left my modem on all day/night and got up this morning and turned on my laptop (which was having the same issue) and launched F@H and it was working...
Convinced that the issue must be happening with my desktop machine, I turned it on, launched F@H and it's now working... not sure if there was some kind of update done over night or if the tech gods enjoy toying with me.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm assuming you cannot "ping assign4.stanford.edu" from a command window or open it in a browser without the entry in hosts.

Contact you Internet Service Provider's technical support and ask them the same question. They would be in a better position to figure out why your DNS is not updating..
avalanche222

Post by avalanche222 »

bruce wrote:I'm assuming you cannot "ping assign4.stanford.edu" from a command window or open it in a browser without the entry in hosts.

Contact you Internet Service Provider's technical support and ask them the same question. They would be in a better position to figure out why your DNS is not updating..
I dunno.

However it's somehow fixed itself and is now running fine. So hopefully it'll stay that way.
avalanche222

Post by avalanche222 »

And now it's doing it again. Seemed to do it after I tried to check my points stats. Might have to give F@H a miss until they fix whatever the issue is.