why we fold

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FAMAS

why we fold

Post by FAMAS »

was not there a large thread in forum where people posted why they contribute in folding@home?
ComputerGenie

Re: why we fold

Post by ComputerGenie »

Because it pays almost as much as mining and has an altruistic "bonus", making it a more socially responsible endeavor than straight mining.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

ComputerGenie wrote:it pays almost as much as mining
Thanks. I had wondered about how they compared. I have quite a while yet to break even on the hardware I've bought, at which point I'll just buy more hardware.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

SteveWillis wrote:... I have quite a while yet to break even on the hardware I've bought, at which point I'll just buy more hardware.
I had started a "back-end ROI" comparison spreadsheet (for 1080vs1070 and mining vs folding), but the variables got so complex that I knew it would end up being as misused as the "projects performance database" is, so I abandoned it.

For the "average" person, there is a negligible profit difference between folding and mining (usually the only time mining comes out "far ahead" is when someone counted outliers into the averages).

If you get into automated "profit switching" and automated trading, mining will win out; however, one has to weigh the man-hours of writing such code, which puts the favor back to "even" (for any time-frame under 24 months).
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I hope that FoldingCoin and CureCoin get more people into folding@home or encourage existing folders to build more rigs.
The many donors are a free super computer so it is fair that they get something back now and not only in a future where some disease gets cured with the help of the folding results. And I don't like the idea of pure mining where only electricity is transferred into coins using GPUs - doesn't make sense for me.

My motivation is more a nerd one: My GPUs don't have anything else to do.

This question was also asked on folding reddit some time ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Folding/commen ... _you_fold/
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

foldy wrote:I hope that FoldingCoin and CureCoin get more people into folding@home or encourage existing folders to build more rigs.
IMO, CC is on its way to being another throwaway when it switches to full POS. :(