cpu progress slow

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

shafters

cpu progress slow

Post by shafters »

sorry to bother anyone but cpu progress is really slow compared to sli gpus progress. I'm not sure where to start looking. any help?
bruce

Re: cpu progress slow

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, shafters.

For the most part, an easily available number which approximates the measurement of "slow" is the theoretical GFLOPS number specified in the hardware spec sheet. Because GPUs can perform many more operations in parallel than CPUs, they can make greater scientific progress than CPUs although that depends on the specific characteristics of the CPU and especially of the GPU.

Generally speaking, the theoretical number cannot be achieved with real work, but the developers do their best to maximize the actual folding rate on whatever hardware you provide to the project, and that actual performance is always limited by the theoretical number as well as other factors.

If you're thinking of "slow" in terms of progess on particular projects, remember that there is considerable variation between projects. Some projects may run in a few hours, others may take days or even weeks. That's not a measure of scientific progress.
JimboPalmer

Re: cpu progress slow

Post by JimboPalmer »

Bruce's signature tells how to provide us with the first 100 lines of your log, which has all the configuration details: What CPU, What OS, how much RAM, etc. we would need to be sure your configuration is optimized.

Also be aware that if you have a GPU, your CPU count is lowered by one per card. so the GPU driver has enough CPU power to support it. So the CPU progress will always be slower in a system with a recognized GPU. The same system without GPU folding would get more Points on the CPU, but usually the GPU points dwarf the CPU points.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends