Switch user while WU is running

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChristianVirtual

Switch user while WU is running

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Background: if I would have multiple donor names, teams or passkeys my question is when is the best point in time to switch. Given it would not be a one-time event but a regular operation.

Q: What is the timing for the decision which donor/team/passkey get the credit ?

A:
1) the combination as defined during the assignment
2) the combination as defined while sending WU result back
3) no, never do this because the backend will not accept the returned WU due the inconsistency

Which is the right one ?

TIA
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bruce

Re: Switch user while WU is running

Post by bruce »

It's NOT 2.

I'm pretty sure it's 1 but it might be 3.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As best as I recall from details given several years ago, the username and passkey need to match from the time of download to when the WU is returned for QRB to be given. If they don't, then just the base points are awarded to the combination set at the return time. I don't recall if the team setting mattered.

One exception appeared to be for WU's downloaded during initial setup which had no user, team or passkey set at download time. These apparently did get points including QRB awarded to the setting in place upon return. This also might have been a glitch in the server software however, there have been enough updates to the software since then so it might not be applicable.

So best practices is still to only change the donor settings after Finishing and returning a WU and before downloading a new WU. Otherwise points are subject to being reduced to just base points for WU's where these settings are changed on the fly.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ChristianVirtual

Thanks Bruce and Joe. Then I need to write the SOP in a way to finish, switch, start.
ImageImage
bruce

Post by bruce »

Click Finish.
Wait until all WUs are finished and uploaded.
Change team and/or name and/or passkey, keeping in mind any new Name-Passkey combinations will need to be re-qualified.
Click Fold.

Step 2 can be accelerated if you have long-running WU(s) which are expected to earn an acceptably small bonus.
ChristianVirtual

These days I still can define user/team/passkey by slot ? I think I have done in the past. Waiting for all slots to finish is not really a solution for a script I want to make. Change by slot seems a possible workaround.
ImageImage
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

ChristianVirtual wrote:...I still can define user/team/passkey by slot ? ...
Yes, even remotely, or scripted.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.