question

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Glennmas

question

Post by Glennmas »

Would it be possible to upload an unfinnished work unit for example 50 procent. I think it would be nice if you just could get the points for the precentage you did with your qrb bonus and someone else can finish the last part with his qrb bonus and get the other half. I am asking this question because if I have to use my computer for more demanding tasks I have to pause the work unit the bonus points go down and I have to finish the work unit for less points. If you could just upload the work unit and someone else can finish the last part you dont lose points and folding gets easier if you are a folder that uses his pc for fah and for personal use.
bruce

Re: question

Post by bruce »

The bonus is designed to minimize the TOTAL time between when the WU is first assigned until the FINAL result is uploaded, so: No, that's not going to happen. You wouldn't want to base your points on whatever happens to the WU between when you upload the first half and when somebody else finishes it.

What MIGHT be possible is to redesign WUs to be shorter. Suppose every WU contained half as much processing as they presently do. Two people would each earn half as many points per WU as the presently do. Except for the added delay required for the first half to be reprocessed and reassigned to be the new WU containing the second half of the work, the two will be completed in the sum of the two processing times.

You'd still have to finish half of the WU and you'd have to avoid being assigned a new WU (since you don't want one sitting on your system unprocessed).
From Stanford's perspective, their server overhead would double, since they'd be handling twice as many WUs.

I don't know how likely such a solution would be considered by Stanford.