Client only folds on "Full"

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

h3ctic

Re: Client only folds on "Full"

Post by h3ctic »

Its gone up to around 45000 now after 15 WUs...no idea if this is good/bad or normal... :)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There may be a few factors affecting the estimated PPD. First is that it takes several percent of progress on any WU from a project that has not been folded before to settle down to an accurate estimate. This happens a bit quicker where there is history to base an estimate on.

Second, is which folding core is used. For CPU folding, currently there are projects that will run on the A4 core, and other newer projects that use the A7 core. The A7 core is based on a more recent version of the Gromacs code, and in addition uses AVX processing if your CPU supports it. If not, A7 uses SSE2 instead of SSE calculations used by the older A4 core. AVX especially speeds up the calculations used by folding.

Beyond that, while they do try to keep the points awarded across the various projects consistent, depending on the project some move higher up the exponential curve for bonus points on different hardware.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
h3ctic

Post by h3ctic »

Ok, thanks for the explanation. So from that I gather there is not much I can do to increase the PPD short of adding more cores.
bruce

Post by bruce »

One fundamental design goal of FAH is to maximize the use of whatever hardware you have. Although that goal isn't achieved 100% of the time, it comes pretty close, and that means there shouldn't be anything you can do to improve your PPD except upgrading your hardware.

In fact, we do get some questions about how to REDUCE FAH's throughput (too much fan noise, too much heat, screen lag on low end GPUs, etc.)