Folding on S1070?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

jjackstar

Folding on S1070?

Post by jjackstar »

Hi all,
Been into folding for a while but got my old Tesla S1070 out to fold on that for a bit at work. I know that the cards are old and that it will use a lot of power but im willing to use it! I have had some configuration issues however getting it to work with the folding at home client. the Tesla C1060 GPUS are not showing in any of the slots and I can not manually add them.
If anyone has got this to work on windows 8.1 let me know!
Thanks,
jjackstar
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Folding on S1070?

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The Tesla S1070 is just too old for use with the folding client. It is based on the GT200 Tesla GPU chips which no longer are supported. The last projects that could be processed on them ran out last year. Current folding projects require a GPU based on at least the Fermi family of GPU chips from nVidia. Some of the low end cards are not fast enough to complete WU's within deadlines.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jjackstar

Post by jjackstar »

Thanks for the reply Joe_H,
Do you know of any other scientific computation that this older hardware could be used for? ill still be folding on my workstation and not giving up of the folding I just want to put the hardware to use.
thanks!
bruce

Post by bruce »

With something of that era, I think it's time to retire it. GPUs are still evolving rather quickly compared to other components and you can replace it with an up-to-date GPU for not much money. I'd get a midrange from either the current generation or the previous one -- or better if the budget allows it. You'll pay for it rather quickly in reduced electrical expenses.

The Tesla had the advantages of memory parity and relatively high Double Precision throughput, neither of which are particularly important to FAH. (It also had the "advantage" of a high price point.) My trusty old GTX750TI still produces twice the single precision GFLOPS for one third the electrical power but there are a lot of other choices if I were buying something today.
QuintLeo

Post by QuintLeo »

A Tesla is probably a good choice to work on the BOINC "Milkyway" project, due to the fairly high DP FP performance.
That project is largely dominated by the old AMD HD7970 / HD7950 / R9 280 / R9 280x "Tahiti GPU" series cards due to their very high DP FP performance compared to their cost.