Too heavy WUs

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MrDaviD128

Too heavy WUs

Post by MrDaviD128 »

Hi, I'm a new user and I started folding just a few days ago, I have a not very powerful laptop and unfortunately its gpu does not even work so i must complete WUs only using my cpu (i have an intel i7-5500U). When I started, the system gave me WUs that i was able to complete in like 5 or 6 hours, I needed to complete them in 8 days at max so it was perfect, I use my laptop like 4 hours per day! But now the system just gave a me a very heavy work unit, even in the protein viewer I can clearly see that the protein is much more complex than the other ones i had before, i need to complete this WU in 8 days but with the power of my computer i will not be able to do that, is there a way to make the system select for me not very heavy WUs? Because I would be useless if many of the WUs around are like the one I have now. Sorry for the very bad english.
bruce

Re: Too heavy WUs

Post by bruce »

Your laptop uses the Intel CPU for Graphics (HD 5500). While Intel graphics is fine for displaying information on your screen, it is not supported by Folding@home. As a general rule, iGPUs are too weak for scientific computing. A low-power dual core CPU can contribute to FAH but it, too, is pretty limited. Every contribution is useful, though.

First: the estimated completion of the current WU depends on a projection based on recent folding activity. It is notoriously inaccurate unless your system has been working on the current WU for a reasonable period of time. Let it run overnight (or at least several hours) and take a look at it in the morning.

Second: Yes, there are heavier and lighter WUs but the deadlines should be consistent with the difficulty. Don't assume that all WUs must be completed in 8 days.

Third: Have you adusted the setting of your Folding Power slider recently?

Fourth: Which project numbers are you comparing?

[Fifth: your English is just fine.]
MrDaviD128

Post by MrDaviD128 »

bruce wrote:Your laptop uses the Intel CPU for Graphics (HD 5500). While Intel graphics is fine for displaying information on your screen, it is not supported by Folding@home. As a general rule, iGPUs are too weak for scientific computing. A low-power dual core CPU can contribute to FAH but it, too, is pretty limited. Every contribution is useful, though.

First: the estimated completion of the current WU depends on a projection based on recent folding activity. It is notoriously inaccurate unless your system has been working on the current WU for a reasonable period of time. Let it run overnight (or at least several hours) and take a look at it in the morning.

Second: Yes, there are heavier and lighter WUs but the deadlines should be consistent with the difficulty. Don't assume that all WUs must be completed in 8 days.

Third: Have you adusted the setting of your Folding Power slider recently?

Fourth: Which project numbers are you comparing?

[Fifth: your English is just fine.]
First of all, thank you for the reply and the informations.
Well when the WU reached 1% the eta became like 1.30 days. Anyways i was not assuming that this WU must be completed in 8 days, it is just what the web control tells me, and yes I set the power to full. Also, the project that the current WU belongs to is the number 11661, the last one I had was much lighter and its number was 9040. Would it be better if I do not fold anymore since my computer is not powerful enough to complete some WUs in time? (unfortunately i can not even leave it on for very long periods of time)
bruce

Post by bruce »

MrDaviD128 wrote:(unfortunately i can not even leave it on for very long periods of time)
1.3 days / 8 days = 16%.

If you leave your computer on for less than 4 hrs per day, then I recommend you stop folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Or switch to the NaCl folding client for Chrome. It processes small WU's that typically take about 20 minutes each.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Many distributed computing programs, just need your computer power, within reason, however much you can contribute is fine.
F@H is not like that, in each generation of a project, all the Work Units must finish before any part of the next generation can start. As such each project is held up by it's slowest member. This is not a problem for 24/7 folders as many people will have identical rigs and all finish in about the same time. Folders who limit their time, unless they have VERY fast computers, will consistently be the holdup.

This is why bruce is suggesting you not fold. I would encourage you to look at BOINC to see if any of those programs interest you.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends