"Light" power usage

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TomJackal

"Light" power usage

Post by TomJackal »

I've been using the desktop application a bit recently, but I did look at the browser version before. In the browser version, there's a small tooltip with the following information

Folding power controls how much of your computer's resources Folding@home uses.
If you want to see what your high performance system can do crank it up to Full.
If your computer starts to stress out move it to Light to give it a break.
These settings have the following meaning:
Light 20%
Medium 60%
Full 100%
Actual usage will be less than these values and depends on how many CPU cores your system has available and what other processes are running on your computer at the time.

I'll reiterate that I'm using the desktop app version, and that version does not contain this tooltip, but my assumption was that it would work the same. I have a program that reads my cpu usage, temperature, and ram, among other things. When I'm not running Folding@home, my cpu usage is <5%. When I set it to Medium, my cpu usage jumps all the way up to 80%, and temperature starts rising dramatically, even above 70 degrees Celsius, which is actually dangerous for my cpu. I had hoped that I would be able to run it at Light while I'm using the computer and Medium when I'm away, but Medium is not safe. At this point, I thought "Oh well, I should still be able to use Light, right?" Well, I tried setting it to Light, and usage went all the way up to 55%, and stayed around there, with temperature going up to about 60 degrees. This is too significant a load to be able to use while also doing anything else remotely stressful. I don't even want to know what would happen if I turned it on to Full.

tl;dr i can only run it at light when i'm not busy
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: "Light" power usage

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The slider settings for the regular client translate as follows:

Full - uses all CPU cores for CPU folding minus one reserved for each GPU if you are also folding on your GPU
Medium - uses one less core than Full for CPU folding
Light - uses half your CPU cores

As for CPU usage, the processes used for the folding client are set to the lowest priority. So they will be scheduled last after other processes have been given what CPU time they require.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

You might consider upgrading your cpu cooler. Before I did my pc was crashing from the cpu overheating at around 80C. Now it runs around 50C. My other two rigs I set them up that way from the beginning.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

TomJackal wrote:When I'm not running Folding@home, my cpu usage is <5%. When I set it to Medium, my cpu usage jumps all the way up to 80%, and temperature starts rising dramatically, even above 70 degrees Celsius, which is actually dangerous for my cpu. I had hoped that I would be able to run it at Light while I'm using the computer and Medium when I'm away, but Medium is not safe. At this point, I thought "Oh well, I should still be able to use Light, right?" Well, I tried setting it to Light, and usage went all the way up to 55%, and stayed around there, with temperature going up to about 60 degrees. This is too significant a load to be able to use while also doing anything else remotely stressful.
You didn't tell us any details about your machine. Some CPUs (e.g., 4th-gen i7 like my 4770K) run happily at 70C+ for extended time periods.

As for CPU load, what other work do you do, and how much constant load does that put on the CPU?

However, you may want to look into your cooling if you are going to Fold. First step is to open the case and clean out all the dust. This is difficult with many laptops, but even then you may be able to get to a significant portion of it by removing the keyboard (relatively easy on my old Lenovos). Then you should assess your cooling setup. How many case fans, what size, blowing in or out? Do the intake fans have dust filters? Do you have room to add more case fans? CPU, GPU, and PSU fans?
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]