trouble with fah_core_a7 on 32 bit OS

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

whocrazy

trouble with fah_core_a7 on 32 bit OS

Post by whocrazy »

Hi.
I'm still using windows XP, and there's a work unit that won't run because it uses fa_core_a7, it just sits there doing nothing.
if I try to run fa_core_a7 manually, it says it's not a valid win32 application.
Can you please compile fah_core_a7 so it will run on older OS' like XP?
Thanks.
JimboPalmer

Re: trouble with fah_core_a7 on 32 bit OS

Post by JimboPalmer »

There is a reddit where you can made suggestions to developers, this forum is just help.

Core_a7 should not run on older hardware or software. It is optimized for recent CPUs that can run AVX2 instructions, which requires newer OSs.

If you post the first 100 lines of your log, they may be able to prevent other Core_a7 WUs from downloading to your PC.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Blue_Bubble

Post by Blue_Bubble »

JimboPalmer wrote:
Core_a7 should not run on older hardware or software. It is optimized for recent CPUs that can run AVX2 instructions, which requires newer OSs.

If you post the first 100 lines of your log, they may be able to prevent other Core_a7 WUs from downloading to your PC.
Jimbo, I'd be very appreciative if you could tell me how to configure to prevent Core_A7 WUs from being downloaded.

Thanks in advance.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Blue_Bubble wrote:
JimboPalmer wrote:

Jimbo, I'd be very appreciative if you could tell me how to configure to prevent Core_A7 WUs from being downloaded.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the folding support forum.

That is a function of the Assignment Server reading the request for work based on your folding configuration. Short of not configuring to fold CPU WU's at all, that is not something you can configure. If you are getting Core_A7 assignments to a system that can not process them due to running an old OS, post the first section of your log file so we can see the system and configuration info. That can be passed on to the people who configure the Assignment and Work Servers so they can adjust those configurations to not assign to the wrong systems.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3