folding@home priority setting

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FAMAS

folding@home priority setting

Post by FAMAS »

set the priority of the software during runtime. from lowest upto realtime,using the software settings window. can it be made?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: folding@home priority setting

Post by Joe_H »

FAHControl allows setting the priority to either the lowest or slightly higher and that is all. That is not about to change as there is no advantage to the software being able to set its priority higher than that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Lowest priority allows CPU jobs not to delay foregound work. If there is no foreground work, the lowest priority still allows 100% F@H.
GPU jobs have equal priority, no one makes an OS which can prioritize GPU jobs. (if there was, gamers would hate it)

The slightly more setting may well exist solely for preWindows WordPerfect run on Windows. It's background printing was an infinite loop.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

The GPU jobs also have a CPU thread which feeds them at low priority. Some guys tried to tweak the CPU priority and core assignment already using other tools but it did not make a difference. For GPU folding be sure to keep one thread free for the OS and one thread for the GPU to get best performance.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The 'slightly higher" setting was probably invented for those who ran both FAH and BOINC -- and basically set them to the same priority rather than BOINC shutting out almost 100% of FAH's CPU processing.