FAH Google Chrome browser app

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

nbrunka

FAH Google Chrome browser app

Post by nbrunka »

The FAH Google Chrome browser app does not save the work information. If you go out of the browser and then come back in to start folding it reverts back to 0 not showing the previous work done. Why does it lose the work. Isn't it supposed to save it and continue from whre it left off?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FAH Google Chrome browser app

Post by Joe_H »

No, it is not a feature of the Google app. Only the full desktop client writes checkpoints to resume after pausing.

The page running the app is supposed to bring up a dialog box when you exit from the browser asking if you want to exit immediately or finish the current WU. If you select the finish option the WU will finish up and not download other WU. I say is supposed to bring up that dialog, but recently I have been seeing it not happening more than half the time. Not sure if that is due to yet another Google Chrome change or a setting.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Projects for nacl are relatively short (depending on how many CPUs are devoted to the analysis ... based in the slider position) so the loss of half a WU isn't as important here as in the full client. Nevertheless, I hate to waste the work I've just completed.

Hidden in the undocumented features, is one possibility. The following MIGHT work. (I'm testing it right now.
> Enter F5 (or use other means to refresh the screen).
> You'll get a pop-up cautioning that you may lose data. Choose the option to NOT refresh the screen.
> The legend under the progress bar will change to "Calculations underway; then finishing."

In the full client, FINISH means Finish the current WU but then stop; do not download and start a new WU. I hope that's what will happen here.
nbrunka

Post by nbrunka »

So basically what you are saying is you must complete the work unit in the google folding app to it's full completion or else if you close the browser before it is done you lost all the work?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes. The results are uploaded when the WU is completed. There's no credit for partial results -- and every WU has an expiration time when the server assumes the WU is lost and it needs to be assigned to somebody else.

You can pause a WU (briefly) but the app needs to still be running when you resume work.