Changing hardware

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

vershner

Changing hardware

Post by vershner »

This week I upgraded my GPU. The old GPU, an HD5550, had about a day left to complete its WU, and I estimated that I could swap in the new one and, even if there was a problem and I had to roll back, there would still be enough time for the old GPU to complete the WU.

This didn't happen though. When the new card was installed, FAH client just discarded the old WU and got a new one.

Is there anyway to avoid this, other than simply waiting for the current WU to complete?

Also, is this really desirable default behaviour from the client? Surely the new GPU should just finish the current WU?
bruce

Re: Changing hardware

Post by bruce »

I've had the same problem. Rarely I have been able to avoid the loss of the WU but I don't upgrade GPUs often enough to remember what works and what doesn't. I always do a FINISH before changing GPUs, avoiding the issue.

Also, it's a good idea to reinstall drivers and reinstall FAH since sometimes the new GPU is properly recognized and often it is not. (FAH simply assumes that the hardware will not change. I don't think that's a common enough situation to spend a lot of Development time enhancing the client and debugging the result.)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

To answer your last question first - in general, no it should not. There is no certainty that a different piece of GPU hardware will process the WU the same as the prior one, especially if different drivers are involved. There are other factors as well that could cause the WU to be corrupted, possibly not in a detectable way.

So best practices is to use the Finish command to complete any current work before changing hardware configurations. In the case of changing GPU's, a further step is to reinstall the client after installing the GPU and its drivers.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
vershner

Post by vershner »

Ok fair enough. I suppose if the WU is compiled for a specific core then it would be unpredictable on another.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

The ATI HD5550 used ATI's Terascale 2 architecture, more modern AMD cards use GCN, so the drivers should be quite different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeraScale ... eraScale_2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends