Low GPU usage

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RocketSniper

Low GPU usage

Post by RocketSniper »

Hi!

I just built a new gaming rig, and thought I might donate spare GPU cycles since I've got a decent graphics card / CPU. Problem is, while my GPU seems to be computing things pretty quickly, I'm only seeing something like 1% gpu consumption while F@H is active. Is this normal?

I'm getting an estimated 515566 points per day, on said 1% consumption.

It looks like I'm bottlenecking on ethernet rather than GPU, is there anything I can do to increase GPU consumption for more folding power?
bollix47

Re: Low GPU usage

Post by bollix47 »

The 1% consumption is the CPU usage that your GPU is using. If you want to see the actual GPU usage use something like GPU-Z.
Otherwise, all looks to be working well.
RocketSniper

Post by RocketSniper »

GPU-Z is way more helpful than the windows one!

Completely resolved. Thank you, bollix47!
bruce

Post by bruce »

You have to remember Microsoft's perspective: The purpose of a GPU is to drive the display (tendering images). They don't provide apps that make use of OpenCL & CUDA. FAH uses them for stream computing, but they don't consider that a mainstream application, so the display only shows activity of the VGA componenets that move desktop data to the screen ... or, more recently, to your VR device.

P9414 is a WU for the GPU, so FAHCore_21 is using 1 of your CPU's thread. Your CPU is reported as 97% busy and only one thread of that is managing the PCIe bus for the GPU. FAH's real work is being done on the GPU, and GPU-Z is reporting entirely different information from an entirely different source that MS ignores.
sananan

Post by sananan »

Please change >3D or >Video Encode to compute0 or compute1
to display CUDA computing