F&H stuck in download

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: F&H stuck in download

Postby toTOW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:04 am

v7.4.16 doesn't solve the stalled downloads issue.

When a stalled download occurs, it's usually impossible to stop the client nicely (with exit function in task bar or service stop feature) ... this is a second bug above the first one ... you need to kill the client (task manager in Windows or kill command in Linux) and then restart it. Other nicer method is to reboot the system which will handle the stop and restart mechanism automatically.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Joe_H » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 pm

toTOW wrote:v7.4.16 doesn't solve the stalled downloads issue.

Doesn't solve it completely, but is improved over the 7.4.4 client. As I mentioned 7.4.16 more often will detect the stall and retry the download after 15-30 minutes. When it doesn't, the restart command given does send a kill and restart command that worked almost all of the times I have used it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

SteveWillis wrote:I really don't know much about windows but in Linux folding starts at boot, not when you log in. So folding starts at the log in prompt even before you log in.
With regard to the Windows client, the Microsoft mindset is that the purpose of a GPU is to display whatever Windows decides to display. They take no official position on the use of a GPU for stream computing.

In accordance with that mindset, a GPU is dedicated to the Windows-User that's logged on. (It cannot be run by a daemon.) Unfortunately this means only the CPU can be used for FAH unless it is "owned" by somebody who is logged on and "owns" the keyboard and mouse.

we're drifting away from the original topic: F&H stuck in download which apparently has been solved.
bruce

Postby SteveWillis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks Bruce. The more I learn about how folding works with windows, the happier I am that I'm on Linux.
My thanks to my very indulgent wife
folding as DarthMouse_ALL_1GD5nCZbh7gNo1SESPLT24xEd2Jsu4rTP9

3 AMD Linux rigs 4, 4, and 5 GPUs 8 X GTX 1080, 5 X GTX 1080 TI
SteveWillis

Previous

Return to New Donors start here