Is There Any Way That I Can Customise The Load On CPU/GPU?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

milona

Is There Any Way That I Can Customise The Load On CPU/GPU?

Post by milona »

Hi,
I am a newbie who has gotten interested in folding just mere hours ago. For the purpose of heat management, is there any way that I can customise the load on my CPU/GPU?
Specifically, I would like to put my CPU on low load and GPU on high load.
JimboPalmer

Re: Is There Any Way That I Can Customise The Load On CPU/GP

Post by JimboPalmer »

There is a LOT you can do with the CPU, and hardly anything you can do with the GPU.

F@H runs the CPU at low priority, so it does not slow other work.
When set to FULL all the CPUs are assigned to work on F@H
Medium is all but one
Light is half the CPUs
Additionally, the the Advanced Control you can adjust by individual CPU.
Finally, you can choose On Idle, so the CPUs only fold while the screensaver is on.

The GPU only folds on Full
And you can use On Idle for the GPU as well.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Re: Is There Any Way That I Can Customise The Load On CPU/GP

Post by bruce »

On a laptop, you'll probably want to accept the setting to suspend folding when on-battery (to avoid running your battery down quickly). You may need to make other adjustments, since laptops may not do a good job of dissipating the heat that FAH produces. As a general rule, desktops are designed to manage the heat well, particularly if your GPU is a 2-slot configuration which is able to dissipate its own heat through its own exhaust path.

As JimboPalmer has suggested, folding continuously with all your CPUs doesn't impact the performance of other applications noticeably. If you have a powerful GPU, it is fine to run at 100%. If you have a weak GPU, you may notice screen lag which can only be managed by setting the GPU to run only then the OS finds your system idle.