List of computers for a user/donor

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChrisS

List of computers for a user/donor

Post by ChrisS »

Hi Guys,

I'm a recent newbie recruit from Seti. Over there if I clicked on my user name I could get a list of all the computers assigned to my account. In addition it told me when they last contacted the project. I found that useful to know if a rig had locked up or fallen over. Is there an equivalent function here at FAH?

Many thanks
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: List of computers for a user/donor

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The Folding@home client itself does not include that kind of functionality. There are some third party tools such as HFM.net that will allow you to set up monitoring of your computers and the WU's assigned to them.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Many thanks for the prompt reply, I'll give that suggestion a whirl and see what it does. They are all able to be monitored via Team Viewer, but it takes a bit of time to log in all of them with a farm of 7!

I guess that most people run single machines therefore there is no need for that functionality to be provided.

Thanks again.
Last edited by ChrisS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

ChrisS, I run 3 folding rigs and what I do is run the nomachine.com remote desktop application on all three, with my main pc set up to automatically make the two connections at boot. It takes me less than a minute to check the status of my other two machines. It's free and easy to set up. Slightly harder to set up if the remote machines are outside your local network but still doable. It even lets me easily check my rigs using a laptop when I'm out of town. If using an unknown WiFi at a hotel or such I recommend using a VPN on the laptop. Unfortunately they still don't have a version for cellphones but claim to be working on one but I believe they do have one for tablets.

If you happen to be folding on a Linux box, which by the way gives higher points than windows, I have a script that does a client restart or a reboot as needed to keep all the folding slots working.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

ChrisS wrote:I guess that most people run single machines therefore there is no need for that functionality to be provided.
I have no way to tell if that's true or not, but I doubt it.

The fundamental design of FAH was about 20 years ago when it was certainly true. There have been some design changes since then, but the main goal is still primarily scientific, and changes such as you're wanting take a much lower priority when development resources are allocated.

While I like HFM, FAHClient has an alternative capability in that you can establish network links to other machines in the Clients panel on the left of FAHControl's screen. Not only can you monitor activites, you can control those clients so it's designed with a bit more security that is required for a monitoring program.

When either FAH or HFM counts clients, they really counts slots, which represents the number of active WUs you are running, even though there may be one slot running on each of your GPUs plus one or more running on your CPUs. That happens to match the 20-year old concept of one WU per slot (formerly "clients") even though you're thinking in terms of "machines"
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your input.

I tried FHM, but 3 rigs are on one router, and 4 on another router at a remote location and it isn't really set up for that. I'll stick to Team viewer to manage them remotely. I'm not into micro-management so every 2 or 3 days is fine. and if one has fallen over or locked up, or didn't re-initiate a slot after returning a result then so be it. I'll deal with it at some point.

What I liked at Seti was that I could go to any computer anywhere, even an internet cafe on holiday, login, and see what my rigs were up to. OK, any problems would be dealt with on my return, but I could monitor remotely what was going on.

As you rightly say, the science is the most important thing, not a wish list of "would like to haves".

Getting used to the new terminology here of slots, donors, and clients. I was used to work units and users :-)

Best Regards
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Steve,

Apologies I forgot to thank you for your contribution.
Slightly harder to set up if the remote machines are outside your local network but still doable.
Ah yes, see my previous reply. I have a manageable situation I am happy with.