Controlling 3 iMacs via one FAHControl?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

iBozz
Hardware configuration: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2TB HD running under macOS Catalina v10.15.7 (19G2021)

Controlling 3 iMacs via one FAHControl?

Post by iBozz »

I am Folding on three separate iMacs, two running Snow Leopard and one running High Sierra. The two former do nothing but Fold and the latter is my main working machine. On each iMac I have a version of FAHControl to monitor that machine's Folding.

I have three networks at home, my main one via a router, a secondary one via my Time capsule and a third "spare" which comes with my membership of the European FON network of free wifi access points. I don't use this latter at home but having it is one of the conditions of being a FON member so that other FON members can hop on should they so wish when travelling nearby.

Is there any way that I can configure FAHControl, preferably on all three iMacs but at least on the main one, so that the one application can monitor and control all three machines?

I note that on the left panel of FAHControl there is a line which says Name, Status, Address but I note that the Address is the same on all three machines so my theory about adding each "unique" address fell flat on its face before it could even walk!

I'm no geek so networking protocols and conventions are beyond my knowledge so any simple advice, preferably in words of one syllable, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2TB HD, macOS Catalina v10.15.7
bruce

Re: Controlling 3 iMacs via one FAHControl?

Post by bruce »

I control several machines using that capability. If all machines are connected to a LAN which is managed behind by a single router, it's a lot easier than if the connection path has so pass through various segments of external networks and their associated security software. (I'm afraid you'll need to learn several things about networking.)

When two machines are on the same LAN, a connection between them can be verified using 'telnet" or the equivalent. From machine A, check that you can connect to machine B using "telnet B 36330" (Machine B might be known by it's IP address, but it's often easier to use its hostid. Port 36330 is pre-defined on FAHClient.)
Ping and traceroute/tracert may be helpful until you can get telnet to work.
[FYI, FAHControl connects to FAHClient via port 36330 through the local loopback connection on 127.0.0.1.]

You may need to grant exceptions to one or more layers of security software. If the two machines are NOT on the same LAN, you'll have to find a path (perhaps by establishing a Virtual LAN -- perhaps not) and of course you'll need to get through several additional levels of security.

FAH does establish an additonal layer of security which can be managed by settings in FAHClient by way of FAHControl.

For additional details, just ask.
iBozz
Hardware configuration: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2TB HD running under macOS Catalina v10.15.7 (19G2021)

Re: Controlling 3 iMacs via one FAHControl?

Post by iBozz »

Thanks - a project for the next few days, I think!

I'll have a play and come back if I succeed or am stuck.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2TB HD, macOS Catalina v10.15.7