Unusual results(+ TeamViewer discussion)

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChrisS

Unusual results(+ TeamViewer discussion)

Post by ChrisS »

Maybe it's just me, but my daily points average has more than halved, but the number of work units completed per day has gone up significantly. Are we having a phase of short work units that don't pay so much, or is there some problem my end. I haven't changed a thing here that I know of, and not that it matters that much about points. The work completed is more important. Just curious.
Last edited by ChrisS on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Unusual results

Post by Joe_H »

Looking over the last few days of your results as reported on the third party stats sit EOC - https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... =&u=754538 - it looks like at least one of your systems is having problems and is having a high failure rate for WU's. For example, yesterday at 9 PM a total of 18 WU's were recorded for the previous 3 hours with a total credit of 136 points. The daily WU counts for the last 3 days are much higher than what appears to be normal for your systems prior to that.

From here I can not tell if it just happens to be that you got a large run of bad WU's, which is a bit unlikely, or one or more of your systems has become unstable for some reason. Possibly overheating is a cause, with the heat wave where I am I shut down one of my systems due to inadequate cooling and no AC. There might be other reasons, they should show up in the log files.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

First off, many thanks for the reply and sorry it has been so long to respond. I run 6 rigs on FAH 4 of which are at a remote location, and I use Team Viewer to access them. Currently Team viewer says I'm using their free version for commercial use and I can't get at them except for a physical visit. I have shut down one machine due to the heat, but I'm not sure if that is the problem one. Where do I find these log files to look at? If I can get a clue as to which rig is the problem one I'll shut it down.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The Welcome topic - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036#p261076 - includes posts on how to locate the log files on various OS's. In addition, by default the last 16 logs are also kept in a a folder in the same location as the current log file.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

If Linux the log is /var/lib/fahclient/log.txt the older logs are in /var/lib/fahclient/logs I can't help you with windows. When I'm out of town I use free nomachine http://www.nomachine.com to remote into one pc and then from there to remote into my other three. If headless you may need to install a gui desktop and use terminal emulators which are about $8 from amazon.
If you are on Linux I have some scripts you might find useful. I know they are very useful to me.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks for the help guys. I'm running Win 7 pro on 5 rigs and Win 10 on the 6th. The log files are in the advanced FAH view. I might need to find another remote control program if I can't convince Team Viewer that I'm a genuine home user. We'll get there :-)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Just a reminder: if all you want to remote-control is FAH, you can do a lot with FAHClient, itself, because it has similar capabilities to HFM. Then you'd only need TeamViewer occasionally for point-to-point work.

Do you know if they count the total number of TeamVidwer installations or only the ones that traverse the WAN or a VPN? (i.e.- are lLAN connections full-fledged connections?
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Not sure about Team Viewer parameters probably they react over a certain number of machines being on one account. To be fair it isn't many people like me that have that many machines at home on distributed computing. They say it will take 30 days for a reply, we will see. But I'm not paying £30 a month for a business licence for a home hobby.

I have now found one machine that has an error log that says "size of position does not match topology" ??? Only answer I have is to blow FAH away and re-install.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

I'm using Team Viewer here and pay nothing because it is free for personal use ... you're only required to pay for it if you're using it for commercial purposes.

That 'error' message about topology is purely cosmetic and is already removed in a later version ... it has no ill effect on the simulation ... just ignore it.
Nert

Post by Nert »

I'm using Team Viewer here and pay nothing because it is free for personal use ... you're only required to pay for it if you're using it for commercial purposes.
Original Posters point is that Team Viewer is now characterizing his personal use as commercial, possibly because of the number of machines that he's accessing.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

I have 11 computers plus other devices on my network but only one has TeamViewer server ... once I'm into that computer (a laptop so that brief power outages will not affect it) I can access the other devices via FAHControl, a web browser or putty. The TeamViewer client is on my smart phone.
Nert

Post by Nert »

I have 11 computers plus other devices on my network but only one has TeamViewer server
Thanks for that point .... good for everyone to know. It kinda looks like Original Poster's problem is probably due to the number of systems he has with Teamviewer on it. I use Teamviewer for accessing a single headless system upstairs in my house. Also use putty/Secure Shell with x11VNC tunneled through the ssh connection to access my other system when I'm out of town.
ChrisS

Re: Unusual results(+ TeamViewer discussion)

Post by ChrisS »

I'll get back to you all as soon as team Viewer respond to me. Meanwhile, I'm still searching for the rogue rig that Joe pointed out to me. Many thanks for all your comments.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

ChrisS wrote:I use Team Viewer to access them. Currently Team viewer says I'm using their free version for commercial use and I can't get at them except for a physical visit.
I've seen reports of bugs in their detection system of commercial use ... I guess you can contact their support team and complain about this to get it fixed.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ChrisS

Re: Unusual results(+ TeamViewer discussion)

Post by ChrisS »

Hi toTOW, I have already reported the situation to Team Viewer, had an acknowledgement, and they are dealing with it.