How does this folding rig look?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Sil3nt76

How does this folding rig look?

Post by Sil3nt76 »

Using my gaming PC and only have the 1050 TI folding @ 100% utilization(160k~ppd) CPU power averages around 20 watts when idle.

CPU: i5-8400
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Z370 Plus Gaming
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz
GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
GPU#2: EVGA 1050 TI
Case: Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650w 80+ Gold
bruce

Re: How does this folding rig look?

Post by bruce »

FAH is desgined to make use of whatever resources you have to donate. Gaming rigs generally have more resources to donate than machines designed for email/web/etc. but either will be put to good use.

The i5-8400 is more than adequate to supply data to the GPUs. If you also fold with the GPU, you can run another WU and will earn a few more points, but GPUs run circles around GPUs.

Yes, a 1050Ti or 1070 is less than a 1080Ti but it's more than my 750Ti or 960. Use what you have until you decide to upgrade. (BTW, the GeForce 20xx series might enhance your game but don't buy them for FAH.)
Sil3nt76

Post by Sil3nt76 »

bruce wrote:FAH is desgined to make use of whatever resources you have to donate. Gaming rigs generally have more resources to donate than machines designed for email/web/etc. but either will be put to good use.

The i5-8400 is more than adequate to supply data to the GPUs. If you also fold with the GPU, you can run another WU and will earn a few more points, but GPUs run circles around GPUs.

Yes, a 1050Ti or 1070 is less than a 1080Ti but it's more than my 750Ti or 960. Use what you have until you decide to upgrade. (BTW, the GeForce 20xx series might enhance your game but don't buy them for FAH.)
I have FAH set to only utilize the 1050 TI and one core, only use the 1070 for when gaming.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's possible to configure each slot to run only when idle. That means you can leave the 105-Ti as you have it and you can set the 1070 fold on "idle"
FAH will suspend folding on the 1070 whenever your mouse or keyboard is active but will resume folding when the machine is idle (sort of like a screensaver). Thus there will be zero interference with you gaming or other activities.

If you want to do that, use the Advanced Control application (aka FAHControl), Enable the other GPU slot and in the status panel, right-click on the applicable slot and choose "On idle." The slot will immediately switch from "Running" to "Paused" since your machine is not idle.

Even if your machine is used most of the day, it should process additional WUs while you're sleeping.