GPU folding on i3 CPU

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Re: GPU folding on i3 CPU

Post by rwh202 »

Each RX550 should do approx 50k PPD. Your earlier screen shot of web control showed 47k PPD for the selected GPU, so that's good.

Web control doesn't (as far as I'm aware) show total PPD, just instantaneous for the selected slot. Advanced control does show total PPD (smoothed and averaged over 3 frames from all slots). If you were folding 24x7 then that would be nearer 400k PPD.

The fact that you're only seeing 140k PPD suggests that either some slots aren't pulling their weight, or that by not folding 24x7 they are running 'old' work units that have shed the majority of their bonus points.

If you were to set all slots to 'Finish', wait until they finished, then started them off again with new work units and wait for 3% progress, then your theoretical 24x7 PPD would be shown.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: GPU folding on i3 CPU

Post by Joe_H »

I rarely use the WebControl interface, so can't comment on how it displays PPD. But from using FAHControl there are a few things to be aware of when looking at the estimates for PPD and points.

First, the client keeps a database of projects that have been done which stores such things as the TPF. If the client is working on a WU from a project that has been done before, the estimates will be more accurate. For a WU from a project that your client has not done before it will take several percent of progress for the estimates to become accurate.

Second, after each start or resumption of processing a WU the client will take completing at least a full frame before the estimates will settle on relatively accurate numbers.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3