Folding client stops working

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ProDigit

Folding client stops working

Post by ProDigit »

I'm currently running 3 clients, all same user name, team, and pass key.
All 3 clients run Windows 7 professional, and Chrome 70.0.3538.110 32 bit.
All 3 run from browser only.

2 of the systems are Dell Optiplex 3020M, with Core i5-4590T (2 cores 4 threads at 2Ghz). They run fine, one is running 24/7 for a few days. They get about 10k PPD.
1 of the systems is a Dell Optiplex 3010, with a dual core Pentium G645 (2,9Ghz), getting an average of 4,5 to 4,6k PPD.

This last system I often find idle.
It seems to happen right after uploading the results, it downloads new folding material, and then just hangs at like 0,1% of the job.
I wonder if this happens more often to other clients?
bruce

Re: Folding client stops working

Post by bruce »

I have not seen reports of failures of that nature so all I can do is guess.

Are all using the same version of Chrome?

Are all systems hardware stable when under load? (e.g.- has dust compromised your cooling or does that CPU have bad contact with the headsink or is the RAM or P/S on their last legs?
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

I think the PC is an older pc, and goes into sleep mode when not used for a while. This may be the reason.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Good suggestion, but sleep mode isn't limited to older PCs. On (ALL?) PCs, the power saving mode is initially set to sleep after a period of time. If you want to run FAH 24x7, you'll need to adjust your power saving settings.